Cook meats, fish, vegetables, soups and other hot food products as well as prepare and portion food products prior to cooking. Also perform other duties in the areas of food and final plate preparation including plating and garnishing of cooked items and preparing appropriate garnishes for all hot menu item plates.
- Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of the company.
- Inspect and clean, and maintain food preparation areas, such as equipment and work surfaces, or serving areas to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices.
- Ensure food is stored and cooked at correct temperature by regulating temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, fryers, roasters, and other kitchen equipment.
- Ensure freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, and rotating stock accordingly.
- Knows and complies consistently with the restaurant’s standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the quality of products served.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to support a smooth service period.
- Handles, stores, and rotates all food products and supplies according to restaurant policies and procedures.
- Turn or stir foods to ensure even cooking.
- Season and cook food according to recipes or personal judgment and experience.
- Bake, roast, broil, and steam meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Portion, arrange, and garnish food, according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications and serve food to servers or guests.
- Deep clean cooking equipment as necessary to ensure proper working condition of the kitchens equipment
- Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
- Follow proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
- Wash, peel, cut, and seed fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.
- Carve and trim meats such as beef, veal, ham, pork, and lamb for hot or cold service, or for sandwiches.
- Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
- Substitute for or assist other cooks during emergencies or rush periods.
- Closes the kitchen following the closing checklist for kitchen stations and assists others in closing the kitchen.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offers suggestions for improvement.
- Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the restaurant.
- Fill-in for fellow employees where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Consult with supervisory staff to plan and prepare new and special event menus,
- Keep records and accounts.
- Coordinate with team mates to ensure that all work is completed.
- Prepare relishes and hors d'oeuvres.
- Estimate expected food consumption, requisition supplies or procure food from storage.
- Butcher and dress animals, fowl, or shellfish, or cut and bone meat prior to cooking.
- Plan and price menu items.
- Bake breads, cakes, and pastries.
- Inventory all station needs and fill out station prep list for incoming shift and teammates.