The Microbiology and Quality Technician works alongside the Microbiology and Food Safety & Quality Departments to assist with foundational research projects from the lab through pilot production. The individual will contribute technical skills to successfully conduct routine tasks and experiments related to microbiology, as well as help facilitate the successful operations of Farther Farms’ French fry processing and research and development facility.
WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE
- You are successful in maintaining organized, safe, and efficient laboratories and facility space abiding by all HAACP, OSHA, and GMPs;
- You are successful in executing the plan set-forth by your managers, efficiently in a timely manner;
- You are effective in translating your learnings and insights into well documented reports to help validate safety of Farther Farms’ food products.
- B.S. degree in microbiology, the sciences, or a related field required;
- At least 1 year of laboratory work required, experience in a microbiology laboratory preferred;
- Experience in quality control/assurance and food manufacturing preferred;
- A creative, entrepreneurial, collaborative work style;
- Experience with report writing preferred;
- Knowledge of HACCP, OSHA, and GMPs preferred.
- Work with a biosafety mindset and follow best laboratory practices at all times;
- Maintain and clean all the laboratory appliances, equipments, glasswares and other utensils;
- Perform routine inspection of the all the laboratory equipments;
- Prepare reagents, growth media, and agar plates;
- Assist in the execution of experimental trials, monitor processes, collect data, perform microbial inoculations and serial dilutions;
- Prepare and maintain frozen microbial strains;
- Collect, analyze, and record data inclusive of experimental conditions, procedures, and results;
- Keep lab notes book up to date and author brief reports.
Food Safety and Quality
- Promote and adhere to company safety work rules, regulations, OSHA, HACCP, and GMPs;
- Perform required testing of incoming ingredients and finished products;
- Test run samples and perform on-line quality tests as needed;
- Provide support for product shelf-life testing, including sensory and analytical evaluation, as needed;
- Perform calibrations of analytical equipment;
- Document and summarize data in a coherent and timely manner;
- Communicate any food safety concerns, quality problems, or changes in production and quality to appropriate personnel;
- Attend and participate in all annual, departmental, and job specific required training and informational meetings;
- Proactively participate in continuous improvement processes.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to wear all PPE as required by Farther Farms;
- Ability to stand, walk, squat, and sit for long periods of time;
- Ability to push and lift items with varying amounts of weight;
- Ability to perform repetitive motions movements with upper extremities.
COMPENSATION AND POSITION DETAILS
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. Compensation commensurate with experience. Farther Farms is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Candidates must have valid work authorization and be able to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship.