The Senior Food Scientist, in collaboration with the CTO, assists with the R&D endeavors of the company from ideation, product formulation, optimization, and execution of recipes at-scale. The individual leads food product development work in the GMP food manufacturing R&D facility and utilizes first principles food science thinking along with their inquisitive mind towards understanding commercial implementation and operations and designing appropriate development test on the bench. By working alongside the engineering, microbiology and food safety teams, the individual assists with the speedy commercialization of never-before-possible food products with global applications.
WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE
- Farther Farms develops novel food products using its new in-package pasteurization technology;
- With your knowledge and prior experience in food science and operations you participate in commercialization projects from concept and development through production;
- Farther Farms' GMP facility produces a food safe, consistent, marketable product according to all specifications, safety plans, regulations, and schedule processes;
- You are viewed as a leader and resource in the organization.
- 5-7 years of related food product development experience;
- Comprehensive knowledge of statistics, statistical process control, quality standards, production methods and food processing;
- Supervisory experience and/or management education inclusive of demonstrated prioritizing & planning, organizing, goal setting, self-development, decision making, and presentation skills;
- Demonstrated ability to manage myriad and shifting priorities with multiple stakeholders through to completion;
- A Master's degree in food science, food technology, microbiology, or a related field is required; a PhD is preferred.
Food Product R&D
- Lead research, development, and commercialization of new food products by applying scientific principles in food chemistry, ingredient utilization, and sensory analysis;
- Be resourceful and follow an unmarked path with a beginners mindset to learn the various attributes derived from processing food with supercritical carbon dioxide;
- Utilize an understanding of commercial-scale operations and implementation to assist with the identification of product specifications and the design and development of products accordingly including formulations, testing schedules, prototype development, and verification of final prototype performance in manufacturing;
- Assist the execution of shelf-life studies (product and package performance), analytical testing (food products, ingredients, environmental), and microbial challenge study research with a keen eye toward strategy and evaluation of results for appropriate adjustment recommendations;
- Design and collaborate with the operations team, execute the scale-up of bench top processes as trial runs on the production line, trouble-shoot and develop solutions for specific inconsistencies, as needed.
- Coordinate and lead production trials and bench top within the operations facility to develop new products;
- Identify and execute process improvements;
- Use production results and structured problem solving to design experimentation, develop and test theories, and interpret results;
- Diagnose root causes of product scale up challenges, and postulate a plan of action with a first principle's mindset;
- Lead the execution and implementation of the hypothesis and solutions on the production line to overcome the identified product scale-up challenges;
- Provide assistance with relevant processing line SOPs as needed;
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of all manufacturing operations, end-products, raw materials, packaging materials, and quality specifications and standards;
- Assist with day-to-day operations of the facility as needed.
COMPENSATION AND POSITION DETAILS
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. Compensation commensurate with experience. Farther Farms is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Candidates must have valid work authorization and be able to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship.