The Senior Manufacturing Engineer will work alongside the CTO and lead Farther Farms’ engineering team in the successful scaling, design, and buildout of novel food processing technologies and commercial-scale facilities. The individual is responsible for managing designing of scaled manufacturing processes, procedures, and production layouts for equipment, processing, and handling of the company’s commercial-scale food processing plants. The position shall serve a critical need working closely with internal research engineering group, external design engineering firms and equipment vendors, and company leadership to bring to fruition novel facilities, food processing lines, and food products with global applications.
WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE
- You are both effective and efficient working with the internal research engineering group to articulate the company's scale-up needs to all its relevant stakeholders;
- You effectively develop strategies and plans to ease decision making for the management;
- You effectively execute and manage project works, relationships with external partners;
- You are effective in translating the learnings and insights gained from the pilot facility into successfully designing and implementing solutions for commercial scale;
- Through your leadership and expertise, you create a safe work environment, prioritizing a culture of growth opportunities and development.
- Experience with senior leadership of a diverse engineering group;
- A BA in Mechanical Engineering or a related field is required, graduate degree preferred;
- A background in project management, food manufacturing, food equipment design, and food facility design is required;
- 5+ years of equipment and facility design or related experience;
- 3D CAD Skills, SolidWorks preferred;
- Hands-on experience scaling equipment and working in food pilot facilities preferred;
- A multidisciplinary knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineering principles;
- Six Sigma and/or Lean Manufacturing Certifications preferred;
- A creative, entrepreneurial, collaborative work style;
- Knowledge with intellectual property and patent management.
- Oversee equipment design and development of varying food processing systems at various stages from concept to bench-top to pilot-scale to commercial implementation;
- Complete utility and unit economic analyses to aid in the development, design, and commercialization of process equipment;
- Drive continuous improvement, research objectives, and growth of the pilot facility to aid in commercial-scale learnings;
- Assist with developing and managing processes, equipment design related intellectual property at the research, pilot and/or commercial scale;
- Craft research and experimentation into digestible project plans with technical objectives, milestones, timelines, and budgets;
- Author or contribute to technical proposals, grants proposals, summaries, presentations, and project reports;
- Assist with pilot production trial runs, making improvements and modifications as needed.
- Oversee the design and layout of the company’s commercial facilities across equipment, process, and procedure in accordance with the objectives of Farther Farms;
- Backwork equipment designs from goals for unit economic and throughput;
- Coordinate with external engineering firms and internal resources to further develop and model scaled equipment, facility layouts, and commercialization plans;
- Calculate and model cost estimates for new manufacturing plants including unit economics, utilities, and equipment buildout;
- Design arrangement of machines within plant facilities to ensure most efficient and productive layout;
- Develop manufacturing processes that are applicable to statistical process control, regulatory requirements, and OSHA certifications;
- Find, develop, and foster relationships with vendors capable of executing equipment manufacturing, automation, and controls work for commercial facilities;
- Manage relationships and oversee timely completion of projects with 3rd party vendors and fabricators;
- Engage creatively with automation and custom equipment solutions with an understanding of the strategy and long-term vision of company leadership.
COMPENSATION AND POSITION DETAILS
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. Compensation commensurate with experience. Farther Farms is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Candidates must have valid work authorization and be able to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship.