The Microbiology and Food Quality internship program is a 6-month internship that will involve hands-on experience working in our research & development labs and GMP food manufacturing pilot plant where we are currently producing the world's first never-frozen French fry. For those interested in food science, technology, operations, and/or business, this experience offers a multidisciplinary introduction to the food industry and the opportunity to join a growing company at an exciting time of development.
The Microbiology and Quality internship is a 6-month program offering hands-on experience for those looking to gain foundational experience in the food industry. The position involves work alongside the Microbiology and Food Safety & Quality Departments to assist with foundational research projects from the lab through pilot production. The role will contribute to successfully conduct routine tasks and experiments related to microbiology, as well as help facilitate the successful operations of Farther Farms’ French fry processing and research and development facility. As part of the internship, you will lead a project of topical importance to the company and tailored to your academic background, experience, and personal interest. At the conclusion of the session, you will present the project to the company.
- WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE
- You learn how to ask questions;
- You can quantify and articulate your technical, professional, and personal learnings from your internship;
- You develop more tools to find new ways to do things better;
- You are successful in maintaining organized, safe, and efficient laboratories and facility space abiding by all HAACP, OSHA, and GMPs;
- You are successful in executing the plan set-forth by your managers, efficiently in a timely manner.
- You are eager to learn and seize opportunity;
- You approach your work with a beginner's mind, uncovering the "why";
- You are looking to grow personally, professionally, and technically;
- B.S. degree in Biology, Microbiology, Engineering, Food Science, EH&S, or a related field required;
- At least 1 year of laboratory work required; experience in a microbiology, quality, or food laboratory preferred;
- A creative, entrepreneurial, collaborative work style.
- Work with a biosafety mindset and follow best laboratory practices at all times;
- Maintain and clean all the laboratory appliances, equipment, glasswares and other utensils;
- Perform routine inspection of the all the laboratory equipment;
- Prepare reagents, growth media, and agar plates;
- Assist in the execution of experimental trials, monitor processes, collect data, perform microbial inoculations and serial dilutions;
- Collect, analyze, and record data inclusive of experimental conditions, procedures, and results;
- Keep lab notes book up to date.
Food Safety and Quality
• Promote and adhere to company safety work rules, regulations, OSHA, HACCP, and GMPs;
• Perform required testing of incoming ingredients and finished products;
• Test run samples and perform on-line quality tests as needed;
• Provide support for product shelf-life testing, including sensory and analytical evaluation, as needed;
• Document and summarize data in a coherent and timely manner;
• Attend and participate in all annual, departmental, and job specific required training and informational meetings.
COMPENSATION AND POSITION DETAILS
Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Candidates must have valid work authorization and be able to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship. All work will take place at the company's R&D facility, labs, and offices in Rochester, NY.