Popular Pays is a platform where brands can collaborate with creators and influencers to create content for modern channels and reach people in an authentic, effective, and affordable way.
Our primary product is a tech platform that streamlines the traditional content creation process providing marketers with access to a creative community in the cloud and the necessary tools to be successful in today’s modern social marketing landscape.
Pop Pays is a Y Combinator alum – “the world’s most powerful start-up incubator” according to Fast Company – and our top-notch client list includes brands like Google, Coca Cola, Hyatt, General Mills, McDonald’s, Jim Beam, M&Ms, Amazon, Samsung, Corona, and hundreds more. Our company has raised over $13m in venture capital and is poised for growth, coming off our best sales year ever despite the pandemic and disruptions of 2020. We are the only creator network who is an official creative partner across all of Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
We’re looking for an individual to lead our engineering team. In this role you will be responsible for providing technical input to product decisions, the execution and implementation of the company's overall technology vision, creating the proper organizational structure to drive a high performing engineering team, and attracting, hiring, and retaining world-class team members. This role could take on a variety of titles - Senior Engineering Manager, Director of Engineering, etc. We will make this distinction on a candidate by candidate basis.
- You are a smart and engaging person with the ability to bridge technology with business acumen.
- You have the maturity and skill that comes with practical, hands-on technical and managerial experience.
- You understand the importance of balancing technical investment/debt with delivery.
- You have the confidence to express your opinions, but the humility to listen to and learn from the experience of others.
- You like working closely with others and thrive in a team setting.
- You have a positive attitude and are interested in challenging and growing yourself as a part of a great team.
- You are able to clearly communicate ideas and direction.
- You get satisfaction from helping others grow and helping them succeed.
- You are willing to get your hands dirty and contribute quality code.
Had you been with us in the last few months, you would have:
- Paired with your teammates to figure out the best way to tackle a user story or debug an issue.
- Collaborated with other members of our product team to shape our product roadmap.
- Participated in a project scoping discussion with key stakeholders.
- Helped write the user stories that define the scope of work for a feature.
- Used your experience to help our team estimate story size and break it into smaller pieces if necessary.
- Reviewed PRs from your teammates for correctness, quality, and readability.
- Attended a retrospective and brainstormed solutions to problems in our development process and then worked with the team to implement them.
- Conducted your semi-weekly 1-1 with each engineering team member.
- Mentored a team member and helped them to grow.
- Led the recruiting process for potential future teammates.
- Developed and maintained relationships with our various vendors.
- Reported to the leadership team regarding team productivity and system stability.
- Flexed your development and creativity skills pursuing an idea of your own during our 10% time.
- Worked with iOS and wordpress contract developers to ensure quality across applications.
What We Expect
- Previous senior leadership roles in product or application development and engineering for high growth companies
- 5+ years of experience with at least one of the following in a production environment: Ruby on Rails, Node.js, Ember.js
- The ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical team members and stakeholders.
- The point of contact for cross functional teammates
- Have 2+ years in a lead role, including hiring and growing an engineering team.
- A genuine interest in getting to know your teammates and authentic desire to build something worth sharing with them.
Why You Should Work Here:
Talented teammates + access to the Y-Combinator network
Flexible work hours and vacation
Commute from your bedroom to your office - 100% remote
Subsidized health care (for you + dependents)
Equity in a growing startup
An 8 week sabbatical after 5 years