Willamette Valley Vineyards, the leading producer of Willamette Valley Appellation Pinot Noir, is seeking a Vineyard Operations & Development Manager who is passionate about growing some of the finest grapes in the world while being a steward of our people, environment, and community.
As the Vineyard Operations & Development Manager, you will work closely with the vineyard team throughout our estate vineyards in the Willamette Valley and Walla Walla Valley to meet the winery’s fruit needs. The role will directly oversee our Vineyard Manager and Viticulturist positions.
Willamette Valley Vineyards owns and farms five estate vineyards totaling approximately 500 acres in some of the most sought-after sub-appellations as the source for all barrel-aged Pinot Noir and works with other long-term growers for quality fruit sourcing. The winery produces approximately 200,000 cases per year to support its thriving direct-to-consumer and wholesale channels with ambitious growth plans. This position will be a key player to support the winery’s growth as we wish to remain dominantly estate-grown, which will take finding and planting new vineyard sites.
The company is publicly held and owned by over 19,000 wine enthusiasts supporters. For an in-depth understanding of the winery, please visit our website at www.wvv.com and click on the “Investor Relations", where Annual Reports are available.
Start date to not interfere with present employer.
Primary Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Determine and supervise annual farm plans to produce the quality, quantity, and style of grapes consistent with the goals of the winery.
- Planning and oversight for all the operations associated with managing premium wine grapes on multiple vineyards including accurate record-keeping, spray programs, canopy management, pest and disease monitoring, safety and compliance programs, crop estimates and thinning recommendations, harvest planning, picking decision recommendations, and fruit delivery.
- Assist with new vineyard development including scouting of properties, land acquisition, planning and design, land prep, coordination of vine and supply orders, irrigation, and planting.
- Work with the team on the creation of annual operating budgets and capital expenditure proposals. Project manages approved capex projects.
- Increase farming efficiency by integrating new technology, cost-cutting, and controls when appropriate. The winery currently uses AgCode for vineyard activity and labor budget tracking.
- Creates development programs to provide opportunities for top performers or high potential employees with internal promotions to support the winery’s growth.
- Manage equipment performance and safety.
- Keeps records and submits reports in accordance with LIVE and other regulations. Knowledge of organics and biodynamics is a plus.
- In coordination with the Director of Winemaking, Winery Director and CFO, coordinates vineyard contracts and develops long-term vineyard partners to support fruit plan.
- Oversight and management of employees on the vineyard team including Vineyard Manager and Viticulturist. Coordinate with contractors.
- Degree in viticulture, plant science, agriculture, or similar field
- Minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in viticulture, vineyard operations management, and development
- High level of proficiency in English and verbal Spanish
- Live within 30 miles of key vineyards
- Valid OR driver license
- High level of computer literacy, ability to use AgCode and Microsoft Excel
- Strong work ethic with excellent organizational and time management skills
- Prior supervisory experience
- Mechanical knowledge and general farm equipment operation experience
- Must be available to work peak demand times including harvest and extended hours when needed
Competitive salary and benefits package.
You must be able to pass a background check, lift and carry 40lbs. and provide at least three references (no references will be checked without the candidate’s permission).
If you believe you are a good fit for the position, please apply online. All applicants will be kept confidential and no current employers will be contacted without permission from the applicant. In your Cover Letter, please explain why this position is a perfect fit for your skills, experience, and goals.
Willamette Valley Vineyards is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status