Willamette Valley Vineyards is seeking a Communications Associate to assist the department in implementing various marketing projects, including direct-to-consumer email campaigns, trade marketing, and website communications.
Our ideal candidate will be self-motivated, results-driven, detail-oriented, a strong writer, creative and enthusiastic with exceptional organization and communications skills to plan and execute various marketing department goals. This position is entry-level with growth opportunities.
The Communications Associate reports to the Marketing Manager and plays a key role in generating sales online, in-person, and by phone. This role is a full-time hourly position and is expected to work on-site in an office environment, but has the flexibility to work from home on occasion as needed. The winery is following all COVID-19 safety protocols and the health of our staff is a top priority. You may read some of our safety measures on our website at wvv.com/covid. If you are looking to develop your career in a fast-paced entrepreneurial, but well-established winery, you are encouraged to apply!
Primary Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
Electronic Communications – 70%
- Creates email communications about wine specials, events, news, Wine Club shipments, Owner communications, among others.
- Writes copy for email blasts to be approved by Marketing Manager and Winery Director.
- Carefully proofs all email communications for spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Pulls organizes, cleans, and segments lists from the database for emails.
- Creates monthly trade communications to update the market on winery announcements, wine releases, scores, partnerships, and POS materials.
- Works with various department leaders to secure event and wine special details in advance in order to properly adhere to communication deadlines.
- Updates Tasting Room Managers and other key stakeholders on upcoming wine releases and specials for inventory purposes.
- Leads internal cross-department communications to ensure hospitality, direct sales, reception, and other relevant departments are always aware of communications going out.
- Manages email requests from various departments and assists the Marketing Manager in maintaining the communications calendar.
- With assistance from the Graphic Designer, creates graphical elements for emails, including headers, specials, and imagery. Uses a graphical eye to layout emails in an appealing and effective manner.
- Tracks open, click-through, and opt-out rates and works with Marketing Manager to make adjustments as needed.
Website – 20%
- Creates all product and event pages related to email communications. Ensures all links work prior to email launches.
- Fine-tunes website content and usability to ensure visitors can find information effectively.
- Works with Marketing Manager and Digital Marketing Specialist to ensure all pages are properly structured for SEO, and contain meta and alt tags.
- Maintains the online store and works with key departments to receive timely inventory updates.
- Works with Marketing Manager to write engaging and educational entries for the blog.
- Serves as a backup content creator when Digital Marketing Specialist is not available.
Other Admin Work – 10%
- Works with Marketing Manager to maintain digital archives of company’s earned press.
- Posts virtual and in-person events to online calendars and membership websites.
- Works with Brand Activation Coordinator to submit sample requests and organize shipments to wine reviewers and critics for publicity and scores, as requested.
- Supports the detailed tracking of all outgoing review samples and records all scores and awards received.
- Documents processes and procedures for training purposes.
- Researches marketing partnerships and promotional ideas to drive sales.
- Supports our effort to create a more sustainable and “green” environment to improve the company’s positive impact on the environment.
- Other tasks delegated by the Marketing Manager, Winery Director or CEO.
- At least 1 year of post-graduate experience in marketing, sales, or another related field.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written, including effective follow-up.
- Highly developed organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize workload, manage competing demands, and use sound judgment in completing tasks.
- A high level of adaptability to adapt to changes in the work environment, approach, or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with change, delays, or unexpected events.
- A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Understanding of email design best practices. Experience in building consumer emails in programs like Mail Chimp or equivalent email systems is preferred.
- Ability to adhere to brand standards and writing guidelines.
- Ability to use standard CRM, Google Suite, and department-specific related software programs.
- Understanding or a genuine interest in the luxury wine industry.
- Basic understanding of Adobe Suite product, including InDesign, or the ability and eagerness to learn.
Must be able to:
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously, and follow through on issues in a timely manner.
- Work in a fast-paced office environment.
- Work well behind the scenes using discretion and keeping all information confidential.
- Effectively present information and respond to questions appropriately.
- Work independently and as part of a team.
- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; apply feedback to improve performance; monitor own work to ensure quality and productivity standards; complete work in a timely manner.
- Follow instructions, respond to management direction, take responsibility for own actions, and keep commitments.
- Remain open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Approach others in a tactful manner; react well under pressure; treat others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
- Adhere to CAN-SPAM requirements.
- Sit for long periods of time.
- Work weekends and evenings if necessary to accomplish key tasks.
- Independently motivated to identify and resolve issues at the department level.
- An accurate proofreader.
To apply, please submit a resume, two writing samples and a cover letter explaining how you meet the requirements and why you would be a good fit to work for Willamette Valley Vineyards