The Pet Groomer is a commission-based position within the Resort and reports directly to the General Manager. We believe in the mission of “Pet Lovers Delighting Pet Lovers” and we demonstrate this through being Playful, Passionate, Personal and Professional. A successful candidate for this position will be someone who not only embraces this culture, but is a team player, self-motivated, takes direction well, has excellent communication skills, and great attention to detail. This is a service-related industry and you should not only be skilled at customer service, but passionate about helping people. Most importantly, the candidate should have experience grooming or bathing all breeds of dogs. Primary responsibilities are to ensure that all pets in your care receive a groom that is of professional quality that meets or exceeds the client’s request without ever compromising the physical and emotional health of the pet.
A Day in the Life:
This role is very important to our pets and their parents. You’re the one who makes them feel like a million bucks! Oftentimes, you are helping keep their pet healthy by maintaining a clean and well-groomed animal. Daily, you’ll work on both animals with reservations, walk-in appointments and some of our guests who are staying with us in boarding. You’ll perform a full groom, simple baths and touch ups and sometimes, the random “emergency-someone-just-peed-on-themselves-because-they-are-so-excited-bath.” You’ll not only communicate with the dog(s), but also have a lot of interaction with mom and dad. You’ll document what you are seeing - sometimes you’re the first to notice an issue and can help the parents solve a health concern. And let’s not forget -- you’re probably going to scoop some poop, clean up some pee, go home with some fur on you and get lots of sloppy kisses!
- Provide an overall positive experience for the pets as they are being groomed, including compassion, gentleness, reassurance, safety, and comfort.
- Ensure that all guests are groomed or bathed (depending on the parent’s requests) to the parent’s specifications. Grooms/Baths must be completed on time.
- Works with Resort Hosts to schedule or schedule grooming appointments yourself, including setting up new clients in online software and discussing vaccination protocol with both new and existing clients.
- Meet and greet all grooming clients whenever possible to discuss grooming instructions after assessing the dog’s coat and condition. Meet with clients or communicate after groom on results, including providing report cards. Suggest any added services that would be beneficial to the client.
- Return all phone calls and emails in a timely manner. Grow your business by rescheduling any appointments.
- Ensure client satisfaction by resolving any customer service issues within your capabilities.
- Properly maintain all grooming tools to insure quality of grooms. Check equipment on a regular basis to ensure it is not hazardous to guests.
- Promptly notify the manager if supplies are needed (bandana, shampoos, etc).
- Maintain a sanitary and healthy environment by following the resort’s standards of cleaning and disinfecting your workspace. See below for details.
- Cleaning is essential: All hair must be swept off the floor in a timely manner. Bathing and drying rooms must be cleaned before going home. Grooming area must be tidy (windows cleaned, floor mopped, computer station cleaned.).
- Disinfecting drying rooms is crucial. Use disinfectant daily and bleach weekly on all drying rooms.
- Monitor guest’s health while grooming or bathing. Report any unusual concerns to the general manager and the pet parent.
- Ensure the guest has water and a chance to “go potty” if he or she will be with you for over 2 hours.
- Follow all standards of safety with regards to handling guests, particularly aggressive guests and escape artists.
- Pay specific attention to kennel tags, (Meds Person to Feed, Aggressive, Separate for Feeding, etc).
- Adhere to pricing guidelines. Get prior approval from the manager or pet’s owner before any additional costs are added to service.
- Effectively communicate to pet care staff that guests are with you.
- Adhere to procedures in identifying pets while they are with you (groom cards, name bands).
- Promptly give any laundry to pet care so that it can be cleaned.
- Consult with other departments.
Work with a team who all exemplify these qualities:
- A passion for animals and animal care, especially dogs + cats. Willing to learn animal behavior to ensure their safety.
- Focuses on safe and gentle handling. Forceful, aversive, aggressive handling, vocalizing or treatment will not be tolerated.
- Customer Service Oriented - Ability to take care of the customers’ needs while following company procedures. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Responds to request for service and assistance. Build trust with customers.
- Willing and able to communicate directly with clients, both written and orally, about their dog. Works to make these “lifetime clients”.
- Must be able to work under conditions that require sitting, standing, walking, bending, reaching, pulling, pushing and grasping.
- Conflict Resolution - Ability to handle conflict with tact and diplomacy.
- Good team work and willingness to assist other departments as necessary.
- Cheerful, friendly, positive team-oriented attitude.
- Strong attention to detail, especially where documentation is concerned. Ability to work in computer systems such as Microsoft Office.
- Reliable, punctual, and dependable.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including holidays and weekends.
- Ability to take direction well and apply it independently.
- Ability to work in temperature extremes, work outside, or in distracting work environments such as loud noise/sound.
- Ability to tolerate being in close contact with various bodily fluids and to get dirty frequently.
- Physically able to handle dogs of all sizes and to lift up to 60 lbs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications For This Position:
Education : Professional Grooming Certifications preferred but not required
- Two to four years professional grooming experience preferred
- Strong knowledge of individual breed standards and breed cuts
- Use of proper scissoring techniques
Must Provide all personal equipment as facility will not provide
Equal Employment Opportunity:
NVA Pet Resorts is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.