The Dog Trainer is a position within the Resort and reports directly to the Facility Director. We believe in the mission of “Pet Lovers Delighting Pet Lovers” and we demonstrate this through being Playful, Passionate, Personal and Professional. A successful candidate for this position will be someone who not only embraces this culture, but is a team player, self-motivated, takes direction well, has excellent communication skills, and great attention to detail. This is a service-related industry and you should not only be skilled at customer service, but passionate about helping people. Most importantly, the candidate should have experience with dogs, dog behavior, and knowledge of reward-based training.
A Day In The Life:
This role is so much fun! Daily, you’ll have the opportunity to train new dogs -- from puppy age to dogs who need some more reminders. You’ll ask their parents about goals and what they want to solve. You’ll spend time playing detective -- observing behaviors of your new friend and solving the mysteries of how to train them best. Eventually, you’ll use the resources we’ve already built to craft a plan for how to train that dog and solve their parent’s concerns. Don’t forget -- sometimes you’ll have to train the parents too. You’ll not only communicate with the dog(s), but also have a lot of interaction with mom and dad. You’ll document what you are seeing and offer tips and tricks to solve. And let’s not forget -- you’re probably going to scoop some poop, clean up some pee, go home with some fur on you and get lots of sloppy kisses!
- Training with assigned dogs daily
- Prepare training plans to assist clients with behavior modification of pets
- Meet with clients on arrival and departure of pet to discuss training expectations and progress
- Provide enrichment to training dogs
- Document and be able to explain in detail the dog’s behavior and training status for each training session. This is done in-person, through email and video.
- Adhere to LIMA (least intrusive, minimally aversive) training standards in all interactions and training exercises. Use of positive reinforcement training methods through classical and operant conditioning.
- Run preset class curriculum or develop class curriculum, where applicable
- Maintain highest standards of education in dog training
- Conduct group classes
- Conduct private lessons
- Assist with additional training sessions as needed, including virtual training when asked
- Consult with other departments
- Grow business by making recommendations to current Pet Parents.
- Create content (photos, videos) for social media posting.
Qualifications For This Position:
- Knowledge of Operant and Classical Conditioning as it pertains to training dogs preferred.
- 1-2 years of experience in training animals or equivalent education is preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of dogs, dog behavior, and individual breed characteristics
- CCPDT Certification or the ability to obtain certification within one year of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
NVA Pet Resorts is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.