Position Type: Management
Job Type: Full time
Salary Range: $24.00 - $30.00 per hour
The Sous Chef oversees the Day to Day components of 13 Coins culinary program, The Sous
Chef leads a team of Lead cooks, Line Cooks, Prep Cooks, Pantry Cooks and Dishwashers in the planning and production of a Diverse Menu. This position is responsible for the efficiency, economy, and sustainability of kitchen operations and for positioning the kitchen for continued excellence and growth of the scale and variety offered by the Broad menu choices. This is a
full-time, regular position.
- Participates in the development of new staff positions including recruitment, interviewing, onboarding, and retention of new staff.
- Ensures that staff receive relevant levels of ongoing training and are professional and responsive.
- Manages employee and performance by providing clear and concise job expectations, training, coaching and timely feedback to staff and volunteers, including via annual job performance evaluations for staff.
- Creates positive and collaborative team morale and culture by developing a sense of belonging, celebrating successes, fostering open dialogue, and promoting inclusion, defining success in terms of whole team, and empowering staff to take full responsibility for their work.
- Ensures staff adhere to policies and procedures, mediates conflicts, and addresses grievances in a timely manner.
- Creates performance improvement plans, scheduling corrective training support and consultation and working with the HR department as needed.
- Manages meal production, overseeing all food production efforts including ordering, prep, cooking, banquet, events, quality control, inventory management, and food safety.
- Leads menu development, developing and implementing new recipes for the menu, specials and banquet programs
- Works with the Facilities to ensure preventative maintenance is scheduled for refrigerators, freezers, HVAC, hoods, and other kitchen equipment.
- Establishes and nurtures vendor relationships, works with account reps to ensure proper products are delivered to meet our Standards. Initiate market baskets with current and prospective vendors annually. Manage Navigator/Foodbuy accounts to realize cost savings and rebates.
- Takes responsibility for supporting the development and implementation of relevant trainings in response to staff and departmental needs.
- Performs other similar duties as needed to ensure quality food and guest satisfaction
- Oversees kitchen safety, cleanliness, and organization.
- Ensures that needs are properly prioritized and addressed to meet client needs, staff safety, and programmatic objectives.
- Complies with federal, state, and local requirements, ensuring adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed support. Complies with federal, state, and local warehousing, material handling, and shipping requirements, enforcing adherence to requirements, advising management on needed actions.
- Demonstrated strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Proven excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated outstanding interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills and careful attention to detail.
- Proven excellent time management skills with the ability to consistently meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and delegate them when appropriate.
- Demonstrated ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment, including emotionally charged situations, exercising crisis management and de-escalation skills.
- Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability.
- Proven clear understanding of professional boundaries.
- Demonstrated skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of applications, including Excel, Word, Teams.
- Proven ability to work independently and in a collaborative team environment.
Education and Experience:
- Culinary degree or the equivalent in years of experience is required.
- Three to five or more years with high volume production
- Washington State Food Handlers card and a Current Food Safety Manager accreditation or ability to become certified.