The Associate Engineering Technologist will work alongside the Engineering Development Manager to operate and refine Farther Farms’ pilot scale supercritical food processing system. The individual shall also assist with maintenance of the system and its auxiliary components. A background in hands-on mechanical engineering is deemed relevant. The individual is encouraged to utilize a first-principles approach and learners’ mindset.
WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE
- Farther Farms produces a safe, consistent food product;
- Farther Farms’ pilot Supercritical Carbon Dioxide (SCC02) system and axillary components (aka the TaterFox) in accordance with established best practices to ensure a safe work environment;
- The SCCO2 area of the facility is organized, and abides by all HAACP, OSHA, and GMPs;
- The SCCO2 system functions efficiently, effectively and is well maintained. All documentation inclusive of various databases and logs are up-to-date, accurate, and organized;
- You find new ways to do things better.
- Strong aptitude for real-world mechanical and thermal operations is required;
- Bachelor’s in Engineering or related hard science is required, Masters or PhD preferred;
- Must have a fundamental understanding of thermodynamics (especially heat transfer) and fluid flows; experience with steam systems and compressible fluids is preferred;
- Experience with 3D CAD software and nozzles is preferred;
- Familiarity with electronics and controls systems inclusive of process HMIs/PLCs, PID controllers, and/or Sensors, and programming, raspberry Pi/Arduino, are preferred;
- Familiarity with extractions/separations and polymer science is desirable;
- Familiarity with food production and HACCP is desirable.
Pilot Production Scale
- Lead system operations to make commercially saleable products:
- Load/Unload payloads of potatoes into the process vessel for thermal processing;
- Startup and prepare the SCCO2 system;
- Effectively operate the SCCO2 via a PC interface and manual valves to ensure Food Safety and to maximize quality;
- Maintain paperwork and files to ensure accurate record keeping including Critical Control Point monitoring;
- Perform monitoring and verification activities for identified CCP’s and properly fill out associated forms;
- Initiate product holds and/or disposition process as appropriate;
- Provide assistance and oversight with maintenance of the system;
- Oversee the proper lockout/tag out of the SCCO2 system when maintenance activities are being performed;
- Lead calibration of analytical equipment such as temperature sensors and other devices;
- Assist the Engineer Development Manager in designing and implementing improvements to the SCCO2 system’s efficiency;
- Lead the communication with the Pilot Plant Operations Manager to co-ordinate maintenance work to facilitate an uninterrupted production schedule;
- Lead the regular updating of SOPs and other operating manuals for the system as needed;
- Lead maintenance of proper documentation related to the system for continuous improvement activities.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to wear all PPE as required by Farther Farms;
- Ability to stand, walk, squat, and sit for long periods of time;
- Ability to push and lift items with varying amounts of weight;
- Ability to perform repetitive motions movements with upper extremities.
COMPENSATION AND POSITION DETAILS
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. Compensation commensurate with experience. Farther Farms is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Candidates must have valid work authorization and be able to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship.