The Senior Manager of Microbiology and Process Development, in collaboration with the CTO, is responsible for the discovery and development of novel approaches to make quality and safe food products using Farther Farms’ innovative processing technologies. The individual will validate commercial processes and assist the Product Development and Food Safety teams with the planning and execution of shelf life studies and GMP practices to develop and introduce Farther Farms’ revolutionary food products to market.
WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE
- You effectively oversee microbiology research strategy, plans, and projects;
- You develop and execute research experiments incorporating data analysis, timelines, and the commercial priorities of the organization;
- Your collaboration with the Safety, Product Development, and Engineering teams enables Farther Farms to bring concepts to full-scale implementation;
- Through your leadership and expertise, you create a safe work environment, prioritizing a culture of growth opportunities, training, and development.
- A Master's degree in Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Food Science, or a related field is required; PhD is preferred;
- 5+ years of relevant research and development experience including microbiological and analytical testing methods to access product safety and stability;
- Knowledge of and experience with FDA guidelines, regulatory submissions, and challenge studies for food products;
- Experience with designing and conducting functional or sensory testing to assess product shelf-life;
- Previous experience with BSL-2 level pathogenic micro-organisms preferred;
- Proven track record of innovative research and development projects;
- Supervisory experience, and excellent interpersonal skills.
Microbiology Research and Development
- Develop precise experimental plans, timelines, and budgets for the execution of microbiology research needed to meet the goals, objectives, and vision of Farther Farms;
- Define, design, and coordinate challenge studies to characterize the behavior of various processing parameters in relation to microorganisms of concern;
- Interpret and clearly communicate research results and conclusions to internal and external parties;
- Oversee and perform routine microbiology equipment checks, conduct growth media promotion, and maintain laboratory culture collection as needed;
- Identify relevant external partners to conduct validation studies for processes for various food products, and provide oversight of external labs;
- Draft submission reports to be shared with Federal agencies for new processing methodologies;
- Lead communication with the all relevant external parties including regulatory bodies and customers as needed;
- Commit to continual improvement by reading and applying the latest scientific literature and methodologies to better the outcomes of the foundational research.
Pilot Plant Scale-Up
- Assist the engineering team with ideation and design building of machinery for the scale up production by highlighting the needs of new and novel food processes and derivative food products;
- Collaborate on product and process development to refine and inform the direction of the benchtop product development work by highlighting the process needs to achieve food safety standards;
- Contribute to full-scale production and expansion strategy by providing recommendations and execution plans to the management accordingly;
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of all manufacturing operations, end-products, raw materials, packaging materials, and quality specifications and standards.
COMPENSATION AND POSITION DETAILS
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. Compensation commensurate with experience. Farther Farms is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Candidates must have valid work authorization and be able to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship.