The Thermal and Systems Design Engineer will work alongside the CTO and engineering team and is responsible for leading design and development of the company’s supercritical fluid food processing technologies from pilot to commercial-scale implementation. The individual is required to utilize systems thinking principles to design, integrate, and manage complex systems over their life cycle. A background in mechanical engineering with focuses in thermodynamics, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics are necessary to execute projects combining theoretical modeling with hands-on development and testing.
WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE
- Farther Farms’ technologies are scaled from pilot to commercial systems, successfully hitting a range of metrics including processing parameters and unit costs;
- You flow seamlessly between the research lab, operations facility, engineering team, and business team, collaborating effectively with a holistic understanding of commercialization from bench-top to manufacturing production;
- Through your insight, technical expertise, and comprehensive understanding of Farther Farms’ mission, products, and processes, you are seen as an indispensable member of the company on its path to developing never-before-possible products and innovative technological solutions.
- Master’s in Mechanical Engineering is required, PhD preferred;
- A background in aerospace engineering, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, or a related field is required;
- 3+ years of equipment design or related experience;
- Hands-on experience scaling equipment and working in pilot facilities preferred;
- A multidisciplinary knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineering principles;
- Experience with 3D CAD software and microprocessors, food processing technologies, and Lean Six Sigma is preferred;
- A creative, entrepreneurial, collaborative work style.
Process and Equipment Development
- Develop hypotheses to design experiments and simulations;
- Conduct experiments for data collection and analysis. Lead data collection, analysis, and modeling for advanced supercritical fluid food systems;
- Develop empirical and mathematical models to incorporate all variables that will drive the development of advanced supercritical fluid systems for various food applications;
- Oversee equipment design development of varying food processing systems at various stages from concept to benchtop to pilot-scale to commercial implementation;
- Manage relationships and oversee timely completion of projects with 3rd party vendors and fabricators;
- Lead the continued design and process optimization of these supercritical fluid equipment for cost, efficiency, and essential attributes;
- Craft research and experimentation into digestible project plans with technical objectives, milestones, timelines, and budgets;
- Author or contribute to technical proposals, grants proposals, summaries, presentations, and project reports;
- Assist with pilot production trial runs, making improvements and modifications as needed;
COMPENSATION AND POSITION DETAILS
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. Compensation commensurate with experience. Farther Farms is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Candidates must have valid work authorization and be able to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship.