Sales Representative Job Description
A sales representative works as one of the principal points of contact between companies and their customers. They work with existing clients to ensure each of them has the right products and services for their unique needs. Sales representatives also work to identify new leads and emerging market opportunities. As part of this, they develop and deliver targeted pitches to earn new business. Often, a sales representative is seen as the face of a company. This is due to the predominantly customer-facing nature of the role.
Sales Representative Job Description Template
We are looking for a skilled sales representative to support our company in its growth. You will be responsible for generating leads, pitching to potential clients, and making sales. You will also be asked to assist in negotiating contracts, performing product demonstrations, and interfacing with existing clients.
Qualified candidates will have a strong sales background. You should be capable of proving your success in a similar role previously with sales numbers and outcomes. Candidates will also need to have impeccable interpersonal skills, a keen understanding of the sales process, and the ability to consistently provide excellent customer service.
Sales Representative Responsibilities:
- Generate leads through consistent communications with potential clients
- Answer client questions and negotiate deals that serve their interests as well as ours
- Work with existing staff to assist in determining price schedules
- Design and deliver outstanding pitches
- Work with marketing staff to coordinate sales efforts
- Understand and promote our company’s products
- Prepare reports on sales data
- Visit clients to assess their needs and build strong relationships
- Prepare and submit sales contracts as well as obtain deposits and other payments from clients
Sales Representative Requirements:
- Previous experience in a similar sales role
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, marketing, business, or a related field
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced and demanding environment
- Superior interpersonal skills and a commitment to customer service
- Technical ability, including experience with Microsoft Office products
- Strong written communication skills
- Ability to deliver outstanding customer service while developing and maintaining key client relationships
Sales Representative FAQ:
What does a sales representative do?
Sales representatives are tasked with helping the companies they work for find and earn new business. This is a process that starts with the employee generating their own sales leads. From there, the sales representative will be tasked with reaching out to potential clients, assessing their needs, and identifying how those needs can be addressed by the company’s products or services.
Next, the sales representative will create and deliver a pitch that shows the potential client why they should purchase from the company. After earning a client, a sales representative will also be tasked with maintaining the relationship. This can involve answering questions, negotiating terms, and suggesting new products or services to the client.
A sales representative will also need to work with other staff throughout the office in the pursuit of growth. This may involve coordinating with the marketing team, interfacing with the billing department, or working with support staff.
What should I include in my sales representative help wanted ads?
If you can make your help wanted ads stand out, then you have a better chance of attracting highly-qualified applicants. The most effective way to do this is by customizing your application to highlight the unique aspects of the sales representative position at your company. This should include a detailed description of the role as well as a list of responsibilities and requirements for the position.
Can I customize your sales representative job description to meet my company’s needs?
Yes, feel free to use our template as a starting point. However, you will find more success if you customize the language to better show the needs of your company. Adding and highlighting the right details will help your business to attract more qualified candidates.