Caterer Job Description
A caterer is responsible for working with clients to provide food for their events. Caterers might be hired to work weddings, engagements, company retreats, conferences, and much more. For these events, caterers are responsible for providing, transporting, and preparing food that is requested. Additional responsibilities would include serving, hiring additional staff, and proper teardown of the space used. Caterers may also assist in planning menus and providing additional equipment to ensure that the event is successful.
While there is not an education requirement to be a caterer, specialized training or experience is an asset. Many caterers have experience in the following areas: cooking, event planning, and management. Also, a caterer should be aware of industry guidelines concerning food handling and sanitation.
When considering candidates for the role of a caterer, employers should seek someone who has experience in the food industry or hospitality industry, someone with strong communication skills, and someone who is detail oriented. Also, hiring someone who is capable of multitasking is important as a caterer is often working with multiple people simultaneously to accomplish various tasks.
Caterer Job Description Template:
A caterer is responsible for meeting with clients to identify and create menus, identify timelines, draft contracts and address any concerns the client might have. Moreover, it is the caterer’s responsibility to fulfill the contract with special consideration given to dietary preferences, staying within budget, sourcing ingredients, preparing and delivering the food, and following industry guidelines concerning safe food handling practices. For a caterer to be successful, they should be detail oriented, have strong intrapersonal skills, and provide outstanding customer service at all times.
Caterer Responsibilities Include:
- Working closely with clients to create menus, identify needs, set expectations, and offer assistance in the event planning process
- Overseeing all aspects of the catering process including: planning menus, purchasing ingredients, preparing food, transporting food, and providing any assistance related to catering that the client requires
- Following industry practices to ensure food is safe for consumption including being aware of proper food handling techniques, being aware of appropriate temperatures, etc.
- Overseeing administrative tasks such as billing and receiving payments
- Recruiting, hiring, and supervising, wait staff if necessary
- Having the ability to work in stressful, fast-paced environments
Caterer Job Requirements:
- A high school diploma or equivalent. Preference is given to those with additional managerial experience
- Basic computer and mathematical literacy
- Must be a creative thinker who has excellent problem-solving skills
- Must be aware of industry standards for food handling/preparation
What does a caterer do?
The catering industry is focused on providing clients with a culinary experience. Caterers often work in various settings including weddings, graduations, professional events, and many more. Caterers can either work in private companies or within large public corporations and the unique responsibilities of individual caterers can differ within each organization.
Can I customize your caterer position description?
Yes! Each catering position is different in nature and each caterer might have unique responsibilities. It is recommended to update this career position to reflect the unique landscape of your organization and the responsibilities of a caterer.
What information should I include when I advertise a caterer job?
When considering what to include in your listing, give special consideration to what the responsibilities of the caterer will be within your organization. Moreover, provide information concerning the characteristics that you would like to see in a caterer. This caterer job description is a good place to begin!