Catering Assistant Job Description Template
Catering assistants are integral to the smooth operation of catered events. The assistant helps with cleaning, organization, inventory, and hospitality. Daily tasks involve: being attentive to guests and customer needs, communicating with a team, food preparation, organizing, ensuring all supplies are obtained, and helping set-up and breakdown events. Handling guest and customer needs while keeping a professional, and hospitable demeanor is also important.
Role of a Catering Assistant:
The responsibilities of a catering assistant involve maintaining the cleanliness of the kitchen and preparation areas, and other tasks involved in preparing food like cutting and peeling ingredients. The catering assistant keeps the food preparation areas clean, organizes the storage room, and contributes to the catering team by working with other staff to assist the chef.
The ideal candidate should work well with a team and have great communication skills. Ultimately, the catering assistant helps the catering team meet the client’s needs in any way necessary during an event. The assistant attends trade shows in order to promote the company’s catering services.
Being attentive, taking charge at the buffet stations, handling the ins and outs of deliveries, and restocking the dishes when needed are all essential tasks. In addition, the catering assistant is in charge of breaking down the event by packing up all the supplies, tableware, and leftovers.
Health and safety regulations must be strictly followed to ensure the safety of the guests at every event. The catering assistant should be knowledgeable of all food health and safety regulations. The ideal candidate will provide excellent communication and customer service during all events.
Responsibilities of Catering Assistant:
- Food preparation tasks including: washing fruits and vegetables, cutting meat, seasoning, preparing sauces, salads, and other basic food preparation as needed
- Work under the catering manager to have the dining and buffet stations set up accordingly
- Thorough cleaning of tableware, food, and supplies. All food and supplies are to be stored and prepared before and after every event
- Tracking inventory inventory, processing orders, and maintaining records of stock and supplies
- The catering assistant is in charge of loading in supplies into the catering vehicle. Upon arrival, the assistant brings in all the catering supplies from the van. After the event, the catering assistant cleans up and organizes supplies back into the vehicle
- Excellent customer service and communication with guests
- Implement marketing strategies to maintain a positive brand for the company
- Help with customer billing, transactions, and the basic needs of event coordination
Catering Assistant Requirements:
- A high school diploma or GED.
- Prior work history in catering, assisting, and hospitality is required.
- A food handler’s license
- The catering assistant needs to be knowledgeable and aware of current food health and safety regulations
- The catering assistant should be reliable, work well in fast-paced environments, organized, efficient, and have strong communication skills
- The ability to respond to difficult problems effectively and with a calm demeanor in order to resolve hospitality issues for events
Catering Assistant FAQ:
What does a catering assistant do?
A catering assistant’s duties that range from basic food preparation to assisting in customer service and hospitality. Catering assistants provide support with food preparation by cutting fruits, vegetables, meat and preparing sauces and seasonings. The majority of shifts are at large events such as galas and weddings. Keeping areas clean, getting the venue set up, and ensuring all the supplies are on hand are all important tasks completed by the catering assistant.
Being a team-player and helping coworkers and chefs while ensuring effective communication is often needed. Shifts range from all hours of the day depending on event needs. In order to be successful, the catering assistant should be reliable and attentive to the catering needs of an event.
Can this description be customized?
Yes! Feel free to start with our job description and customize it based on your company’s specific needs and requirements.
What should be included in a catering assistant posting?
The posting for a catering assistant position should be informative about the company, and describe what you are looking for in regards to the skills and expertise of the ideal candidate. Expand on exactly what is to be expected of a catering assistant at your company.