Hair Stylist Job Description
A hair stylist is an employee who focuses on making their clients’ hair look as good as possible. They consult with their client to determine what they want their hair to look like. Then, they shampoo, cut, color, bleach, and style their hair to meet the specifications that the client has provided.
Hair stylists need to be familiar with trending hair styles and capable of recreating them on clients with different types of hair. They need to be skilled with their hands and capable of using a wide variety of hair care techniques and tools. A hair stylist also needs to have excellent customer service skills, as they spend most of their days working directly with clients.
To become a hairstylist, an individual needs to have a license that allows them to do this job in the state that they live in. They also typically have formal training, which must happen at an accredited barber or cosmetology program.
Hair Stylist Job Description Template
We’re searching for a skilled and personable hair stylist to join our growing team. In this role, it will be your job to bring the vision that our clients have for their hair to life. You’ll do that by shampooing their hair, trimming it, coloring it, and styling it until it meets their expectations. To achieve this, you will need to be familiar with trending hairstyles and capable of recreating them on clients with different types of hair. You should also be capable of using a wide variety of hair care tools, techniques, and products.
As a hairstylist, you will spend the majority of your time working directly with our clients. So we’re looking for someone who has strong customer service skills and a professional attitude. We also prefer applicants who have formal hair stylist training.
If you think that you’d be a good fit for this position, reach out to us. We’d love to see your resume.
Hair Stylist Responsibilities:
- Consult with clients to recommend hair styles and identify the goals they have for their hair
- Trim, color, bleach, and wash your clients’ hair according to their preferences
- Use a variety of tools, techniques, and products to style clients’ hair
- Answer any questions that your clients may have about styling and caring for their hair
- Manage your schedule and welcome clients into the shop
- Keep yourself up-to-date on emerging hair styles
Hair Stylist Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Completion of an accredited cosmetology or barber program
- Familiarity with modern hair trends
- Ability to use a wide variety of hair care tools, techniques, and products
- Excellent customer service skills
- All state-mandated licenses required to practice
Hair Stylist FAQ
What tasks does a hair stylist complete?
A hair stylist cuts, styles, shampoos, and colors their clients’ hair. They consult with their clients to help them find the right hairstyle and then bring that style to life using their specialized knowledge of hair.
What should I include in my hair stylist help-wanted ads?
We recommend that you follow the outline that we’ve used above when creating your hair stylist help-wanted ads. You should begin with a few paragraphs that highlight the most important parts of the position. Then, create two bulleted lists to show the detailed responsibilities and requirements of the job opening.
Can I use your hair stylist job description template?
Yes, you can. Just make sure that you also reference the parts of your job that make it unique. This will help your hair stylist position to stand out from the others that your candidates may also be considering.