HVAC Service Technician Job Description
HVAC service technicians work with heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration systems (HVAC is an abbreviation that stands for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning). It’s the HVAC service technician’s job to install these systems, maintain them, and repair them. To do that, they need to be very familiar with how HVAC systems work as a whole and what each component does to enable them to function the way that they should.
HVAC service technicians usually need additional training and education after finishing high school. Many complete apprenticeships, which take 3-5 years to complete. These give aspiring HVAC service technicians the chance to learn from employees who are experts at the job. Additionally, most states have licensing requirements for HVAC service technicians. So employers who hire for this position tend to prioritize candidates who already have this license and are ready to begin working immediately.
HVAC Service Technician Job Description Template
We’re searching for a skilled HVAC service technician to add to our growing staff. In this role, it will be your job to install, maintain, and repair our clients’ HVAC systems. You will be responsible for tasks like cleaning the system, replacing malfunctioning parts, and setting up new systems from scratch. To do this, you will need to have a keen understanding of how HVAC systems work. You should be capable of using a variety of tools and techniques to ensure that our customers’ HVAC systems work as efficiently as possible.
You will also need to have excellent customer service skills and professionalism, as you will be working in our clients’ homes and businesses. They may ask you questions about how to best maintain their systems, which you should be able to confidently answer without needing to seek additional guidance.
If you think that you would be a good fit for our HVAC service technician position, then reach out. You can send us your resume to begin the application process.
HVAC Service Technician Responsibilities:
- Install, maintain, and repair our clients’ HVAC systems
- Use a variety of tools and techniques to ensure HVAC systems work as well as possible
- Answer any questions that our clients may have about how to maintain their HVAC system
- Perform emergency repairs as scheduling needs dictate
- Ensure that you comply with all relevant health and safety standards, including those specified in the Occupational Health and Safety Act
HVAC Service Technician Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous experience in a similar role is strongly preferred
- Specialized HVAC training, either through an apprenticeship or certification program
- Willingness to work over the weekend and at odd hours based on scheduling needs
- In-depth knowledge of HVAC systems and the techniques and tools that are used to optimize them
- Valid driver’s license
HVAC Service Technician FAQ
What tasks does an HVAC service technician complete?
An HVAC service technician works on heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration systems. It’s their job to install these systems and maintain them. They also troubleshoot HVAC systems and make repairs when they’re needed, among other tasks.
What should I include in my HVAC service technician help-wanted ads?
We recommend that you follow the outline that we’ve used above when building out your HVAC service technician help-wanted ads. You should start with a few general paragraphs that highlight the most important aspects of the job. Then you can get more specific by creating two bulleted lists for the job’s responsibilities and requirements.
Can I use your HVAC service technician job description template?
Absolutely! Feel free to use our job description templates in whatever way you think is best for your company.