Data Analyst Job Description
Data analysts are responsible for collecting and storing critical data for your company. Data may include sales numbers, market research, logistics, linguistics, or any other data your company uses regularly.
A data analyst needs to have a high level of technical expertise that helps ensure that you have high-quality and accurate data at all times. They also process the data and create presentations that can help others make better decisions. Data analysts can be called on to present data to internal and external audiences and should be able to present the data in a way that is easy to understand.
Data Analyst Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a qualified data analyst to join our data team. You will be responsible for helping to manage our master data set, developing effective reports, and troubleshooting data issues. We're looking for candidates with a fine eye for detail and an analytical skill set that helps them understand large volumes of data. Ideal candidates should have some prior data analysis experience and be familiar with the most popular data analysis tools and databases.
Data Analyst Responsibilities:
- Managing master data
- Creating new data sets
- Maintaining regular updating and deletion schedules
- Managing users and user roles
- Perform quality assurance on imported data
- Working with quality assurance analysts
- Commissioning and decommissioning of data sets
- Processing confidential data and information according to company guidelines and procedures
- Help develop reports and data analysis
- Managing and designing the reporting environment, including data sources, implementing appropriate security measures, and populating metadata
- Supporting the data warehouse to identify and revise reporting requirements
- Support internal initiatives for data integrity and normalization
- Assessing tests and implementing new and upgraded software
- Assisting strategic decision making for new systems
- Generating reports for multiple systems
- Troubleshooting and reporting on database environments and existing reports
- Evaluating changes and updates to source production systems
- Training end-users on new reports and dashboards
- Provide technical expertise on data storage structures, data mining, and data cleansing
Data Analyst Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science from an accredited university or college
- Work experience as a data analyst or a related field
- Ability to work with stakeholders to assess potential risks
- Ability to analyze existing tools and databases to provide software solution recommendations
- Ability to translate business requirements into non-technical lay terms
- Experience with methodologies and processes for managing large scale databases
- Ability to demonstrate experience with handling large data sets and relational databases
- Understanding of and ability to meet all metadata standards
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Data Analyst FAQ:
What is a Data Analyst?
Data analysts are versatile employees who collect, analyze, and store data for your company. They can also use that data to help both your company and your clients make better business decisions. They also often make recommendations for more efficient datasets and may suggest new kinds of data collection or analysis to improve performance.
Feel free to add any other requirements your company needs in a data analyst to create a custom listing that better fits your company. You can also tailor experience requirements to help attract the right candidate.
May I Customize Your Data Analytics Job Description?
Of course! You are welcome to add or subtract anything from the template to create a better custom listing for your company. Be sure to add any important details you’d like to pass on to ideal candidates, or remove any information that isn’t a good fit for the opening.
For instance, our listing is tailored toward a relatively experienced data analyst. But if you're looking for someone to fill a more entry-level position you may want to remove some of the experience requirements to attract the right kind of candidate.
What Information Should I Include in a Data Analyst Job Listing?
It’s a good idea to start with our sample job description and job template and then customize to your own needs. It’s important to make sure you have a complete listing of the skills and personal qualities that you’re looking for in your ideal candidate. You will also need to include the exact qualifications that are required or preferred for your open position.
You may also want to include information about the size of the data sets, the size of the data team they are joining, and any perks or benefits that might help attract a more experienced candidate to your company.