Office Manager Job Description
Office managers are your go-to staff for keeping your office running smoothly and overseeing any administrative support that is needed. This job can be very flexible, with a wide range of duties and responsibilities. Office managers can also handle reception work, copy editing and support, and may also manage paperwork and filing for a specific department.
Office Manager Job Description Template:
Our company is looking to hire a qualified office manager to help with the general operation of our office. Your duties will include greeting visitors, answering incoming phone calls, purchasing office supplies, managing office supply inventory, and supervising office staff to ensure maximum productivity. We also ask our office managers to create presentations and produce management-level reports to aid in successful business operations.
You may be asked to complete other general office tasks as needed. You may also be asked to adapt to changing office conditions and to respond to circumstances in the office as they arise.
Our ideal candidate should also have experience with Microsoft Office applications including both Word and Excel. We also require a bachelor’s degree.
Office Manager Responsibilities:
- Overseeing general office operation
- Greeting Visitors
- Answering incoming phone calls
- Coordinating appointments and meetings for office staff
- Managing staff calendars and schedules to avoid double-bookings and conflict
- Supervising, mentoring, training, and coaching office staff
- Managing assignment delegation for maximum productivity within the office
- Scheduling and booking travel including:
- Booking staff flights
- Booking hotel rooms
- Making rental car reservations
- Keeping an up to date inventory of all office supplies
- Ordering and organizing office supplies and equipment as needed
- Producing office reports
- Composing staff correspondence
- Drafting new client contracts
- Creating presentations and management-level reports
Office Manager Requirements
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Five years + experience in office administration
- Office Management Experience preferred
- Excellent computer skills
- Microsoft application fluency, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
Office Manager FAQ:
What Are the Duties of an Office Manager?
The actual duties of an office manager can vary widely from company to company and even office to office. The core duty of an office manager is to ensure that the office operates as efficiently as possible, but the tasks involved can vary quite a bit. They are responsible for overseeing administrative staff members, receiving visitors, managing calendars and staff schedules, and either handling or delegating basic office tasks.
Can I Customize Your Office Manager Job Posting Sample?
Absolutely! In fact, we encourage you to customize our job listing to better fit the profile and requirements for your job description. That way you are more likely to get the kinds of qualified and experienced candidates you want for your office manager opening.
Feel free to expand or subtract the current job posting sample in order to tailor your results to the kind of candidate you need. Experience and necessary qualifications are two common areas to edit, but if your office has any special job requirements you should list those requirements as well.
What Are Other Terms for Office Managers?
There are many different terms that your candidates may use to search for office manager openings. Having these terms as keywords or alternate listings can help you attract more candidates to your job offer.
Common search terms include:
- Business Office Manager
- Administrative Services
- Administrative Office Manager
What Information Should I Include In My Office Manager Job Posting?
Like any job listing, it’s important to include any unique information about the job requirements or duties. You should also include detailed information about job duties and requirements. For an office manager position, it's a good idea to include more detail than usual to reflect that this can be a very varied and busy job which requires a wide range of expertise and experience.
Start with a sample template like ours, and then add any additional considerations for your job. Lastly, go through and eliminate redundancy and irrelevant details to get a clean and effective job posting.