The Executive Chef / Kitchen Manager directs the food service activities and back of house operations of the restaurant and market in accordance with company guidelines regarding operating procedures, food preparation and product specification, sanitation and cleanliness, profitability, and employee relations.
The Executive Chef / Kitchen Manager must perform duties in compliance with all applicable sanitation, health, and personal hygiene standards. He / she is responsible for appropriate use of kitchen and restaurant supplies and equipment to minimize loss, waste, and fraud. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The duties and responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to those listed below. Other duties may be assigned as needed to accommodate the smooth flow of operations within the company:
1. Under direction of General Manager, ensures that the kitchen and food service area is functional and meets all quality standards on a daily basis including, but not limited to cleanliness and sanitation, guest service and execution of food service.
2. Follow and ensure kitchen employees follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for all aspects of the kitchen and food service area. Monitor consistency and adherence to recipe and food specifications, guest safety, employee safety, cleanliness, sanitation and food safety, ordering, receiving and storage procedures.
3. Complete kitchen schedules based on labor proformas that both meet the needs of the business and achieve labor cost guidelines. Ensure proper staffing levels for each shift.
4. Supervise all kitchen employees on the shift. Ensure employees adhere to uniform standards and company policies as stated in Hobnob Tavern employee handbook.
5. Conduct food inventories. Monitor proper inventory levels and adjust par and ordering guidelines based on demands and changes in business. Monitor food inventory for waste and theft. Maintain and update waste log on a regular basis. Report issues to GM.
6. Complete food orders using order guides. Establish par levels with use of product mix reports. Follow receiving guidelines when food orders arrive. Check product to ensure Hobnob Tavern quality, correct quantity and proper specification.
7. Oversee relationship with vendors and insure quality standards for products are met. Maintain price book and hold vendors to fair and reasonable pricing for all products and services.
8. Ensure all food is labeled, dated and stored properly in accordance with federal, state and local health code regulations. Ensure product is not expired or out of date.
9. Complete line checks accurately and on time. Maintain line check sheets and temperature logs.
10. Complete accurate prep sheets on a daily basis. Ensure recipe book is used and food is prepared according to Hobnob Tavern standards and recipe specifications.
11. Monitor food cost and cost of goods. Assess and troubleshoot high cost areas and advise on cost saving solutions.
12. Ensure recipes are accurate and match theoretical costs.
13. Assess repair and maintenance needs of the kitchen or equipment and alerting management of any needs or unsafe working conditions.
14. Assist in the development of standard recipes and food preparation procedures.
15. Assist in recruiting, hiring and development of all BOH staff. Give performance feedback to employees on a weekly and monthly basis. Oversee BOH staff training and development programs.
16. Ensure all new kitchen employees and managers in training (MIT’s) are properly trained. Communicate with the management team on development and progress of certified trainers and MIT’s. Assist with completion of weekly reviews, testing and any other assigned paperwork associated with the training process.
17. Comply with established sanitation standards, personal hygiene, and health standards.
18. Must maintain skills necessary to safely and efficiently operate kitchen and restaurant equipment and machines used in the performance of this job.
19. Assist management in completing accurate and necessary daily, weekly and monthly paperwork associated with the back of the house.
1. Directly supervises 8 to 20 employees of the kitchen staff and MIT’s in BOH. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work responsibilities, and following up with the management team.
2. Acts as mentor in directing subordinate employees with advice or solutions to difficult problems in areas such as job performance.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Kitchen management experience in restaurant, retail, food service or the hospitality industry is required.
The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Supports the Mission, Vision, Values and Culture of Hobnob Tavern.
2. Provides leadership for employee relations through effective communication, coaching, training, and development. Develops trust and credibility. Exhibits honest and ethical behavior and motivates others to behave honestly and ethically.
3. Provides leadership for problem resolution to facilitate faster improvements and improved working relationships.
4. Ensures compliance with company standards for safety and sanitation, organization, quality, timeliness, cost control and waste reduction.
5. Creates an atmosphere which allows for the respect and well-being of all co-workers and guests in a safe, secure environment.
6. Assesses and /or corrects unsafe working conditions, equipment repair and maintenance needs.
7. Maintains confidentiality of all proprietary Hobnob Tavern operations, programs and materials.
8. Maintains quality assurance and compliance with all regulatory requirements.
9. Ensures compliance with current laws and policies to provide a work environment free from sexual harassment and all illegal and discriminatory behavior.
10. Creates a harmonious work environment for all employees.
11. Uses tactful, appropriate communications towards direct reports, vendors and guests.
12. Follows up as appropriate with employees or guests regarding reported complaints, problems and concerns.
13. Completes requirements for training, acceptable attendance, uniform and dress codes including personal hygiene, and other work duties as assigned.
14. Utilizes effective time management; reports to work on time and completes assigned duties within designated time frames.
15. Uses good judgment and integrity in decision making; Makes clear, consistent and transparent decisions; Able to identify relevant from irrelevant information and make timely decisions.
16. Must exhibit effective leadership skills, motivate others, demonstrate a high level of business acumen and develop trust and credibility with subordinate employees and peers.
17. Must exhibit honest and ethical behavior and expect same from others.
18. Must demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills and actively listen; must clearly and effectively share information.
19. Weekend and evening work will be necessary.
20. Must have reliable transportation.