Store Manager Job Description
Retail store managers oversee the daily operations of your store. They work to make sure everything runs smoothly and efficiently while providing high-quality customer service. Store managers also work to motivate sales teams, generate business and marketing strategies, and develop promotional material. Your store manager is also in charge of training new staff and working as a general supervisor to make sure everything is in order during their shift.
Store Manager Job Description Template:
Our company is looking for a professional and customer-service oriented store manager to help oversee daily operations at our store. As store manager, you will be responsible for maintaining high operational and organizational standards at the store. You will be responsible for training new staff and creating a pleasant store environment for customers and staff members.
Candidates will also be expected to undertake some administrative tasks, monitor inventory levels, and place new inventory orders as needed. You will also be asked to develop and implement business strategies to meet sales goals and improve store performance.
Our ideal candidate should be motivated by customer satisfaction, and be willing to work to improve satisfaction scores and create a better overall experience. You should be an excellent communicator and have leadership skills. Candidates should also have interpersonal de-escalation and problem-solving skills.
Store Manager Responsibilities:
- Deliver excellent customer service
- Implement store policies and procedures to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction
- Motivate the sales team through training and mentorship
- Build team relationships and lead toward common workplace goals
- Create business strategies to attract new customers, increase store traffic, and improve store profitability
- Hire, train, and oversee all new staff
- Respond to customer complaints and concerns in a professional manner
- Problem solve to address customer concerns in a way that profits the store and pleases the customer
- Ensure store compliance with all local, state, and federal health and safety regulations
- Develop and present promotional material
- Design and arrange in-store displays
- Prepare detailed reports on buying trends, customer requests, and profits along with any other noteworthy metrics
- Complete administrative duties including managing store budgets and updating all financial records
- Monitor inventory levels and orders
Store Manager Requirements:
- High school diploma or Equivalent
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or a similar field is preferred
- 3 years of experience working in a retail environment (minimum, more preferred)
- Previous retail management experience preferred
- Leadership skills
- Customer management skills
- Customer-service oriented
- In-depth knowledge of basic business management practices
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- De-escalation skills
Store Manager FAQ:
What Does a Store Manager Do?
Store managers are responsible for the day to day management of retail stores. They are also responsible for the supervision of sales, staff, and inventory. They complete administrative reports and develop business plans and marketing and promotional materials to improve store profitability and increase customer traffic. Store managers also report to the district or general manager to help companies and owners stay on top of individual store performance.
Store managers are also one of your most important staff members for dealing with customer complaints and concerns, as well as de-escalating tense situations in store. They create store policies and step in to help manage conflict between customers and other staff members.
Can I Customize Your Store Manager Position Description?
Yes! It's a good idea to take some time to customize your store manager job listing since customization can help candidates decide that you're the right company for them. You should include details on what kind of store you're looking to run, as well as any unique features of your specific retail store.
What Information Should I Include When I Advertise a Store Manager Job
It's always important to make sure you include as much information about the qualities and qualifications you're looking for in any job listing. For a store manager, it's also important to emphasize all of the different kinds of responsibilities your store managers will take on. You can also include information about the culture and feel you’re hoping to achieve for the store. Include guidance regarding how independent managers will have to be, or whether they will be working within a fairly structured business plan.
Start with adding anything you’re looking for that isn’t already included in the template. Once you’ve added everything you can think of, streamline your qualifications and requirements until you have a job description that covers all the most important information without repetition.