Bar Back Job Description
A bar back is responsible for performing tasks that support the bartender and other staff members who may need help. The position includes helping with opening and closing duties, taking orders, making sure all items are stocked properly, assisting in any reordering processes, and performing minor repairs that the bar may need.
Bar Back Job Description Template:
We are looking to add a bar back to our team who is observant of their surroundings and customers, and can work with other staff members to make sure our customers receive quick, flawless service. The bar back will be responsible for helping keep the bar clean, preparing garnishes for drinks, and other tasks that the bartender may need help with to make sure bar operations run smoothly. This position also requires keeping the bar well stocked with napkins, straws, glassware, garnishes and any other supplies the bartender needs to make drinks. The bar back will need to be knowledgeable of the menu items to answer any questions, be attentive to customers, and provide excellent service in a fast-paced environment.
A successful bar back should be able to work as part of a team to help serve delicious drinks and provide excellent customer service. It is important to be efficient, reliable, a great communicator, and effectively manage time.
Bar Back Responsibilities Include:
- Assist with opening and closing duties
- Keep the bar stocked with garnishes, straws, and napkins
- Make sure the bartenders have clean towels, glassware, and garnishes
- Keep the bar stocked with ice, liquor, wine, and beer.
- Check beer taps and coolers to confirm they are working correctly
- Make minor repairs to appliances if needed
- Assist with keeping the bar clean by wiping counters and surfaces, sweeping and mopping the floors, clearing the counter of used glasses, scrub coolers, and empty the trash when necessary
- Learn about menu items and memorize drink recipes
- Assist with taking orders, preparing drinks, clearing tables, opening tabs, and processing payments during peak times
- Communicate with customers, answer questions, and handle complaints
- Maintain and report levels of usage to make the reordering process simple
- Make sure all delivered items are stored properly
Bar Back Job Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED
- Additional certifications or education may be preferred
- Be the minimum age required to serve alcohol
- Maintain a courteous, friendly personality and professional appearance
- Knowledge of current menu items, beers, wines, cocktails, and liquors
- Math and computer skills
- Problem solving, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to remain calm in tense situations with coworkers and customers
- Observant and thorough when completing tasks
- Reliable and punctual
- Be able to stand, walk, or lift heavy objects for extended periods
- Must be able to work nights, weekends, and holidays
Bar Back FAQ:
What is a bar back position?
A bar back supports other staff members by taking and delivering orders, preparing beverages, cleaning the bar, keeping supplies stocked and accessible, and making small repairs around the bar.
Is this bar back description customizable?
Make sure to provide information pertinent to the position at your bar or restaurant. Expand on the duties, responsibilities, and requirements we have listed to build a job description that best fits your needs.
What should I include in my bar back description?
Include details about your company to give potential candidates a realistic idea of what working for your bar on a daily basis will entail. Include the skills, qualities and qualifications you are looking for the candidate to have.