Food Handler Job Description Template
A food handler is a role that demands both excellent attention to detail and the ability to work quickly on repetitive tasks without sacrificing quality. The position entails working with unpackaged foods and beverages and preparing them to be consumed by the public. A food handler may work in several different settings, usually a restaurant.
The main goal of a food handler is to efficiently prepare food for consumption while still following all necessary food safety guidelines. In order to do this, food handlers need to be able to work without supervision and maintain both their focus and quality.
Food Handler Job Description
Our restaurant is looking for a new food handler. Applicants will be asked to prepare a variety of our food items while using the best practices for food health and safety. You may be asked to receive and unpack deliveries, verify inventory, and discard any spoiled or contaminated food items. You will be responsible for getting our food ready for the public. This will require a high level of attention to detail.
As a food handler, you will need to be knowledgeable of all food health and safety regulations and be able to work well in a team. You will also need to have your food handler’s license in order to qualify for this position.
Food Handler Responsibilities:
- Prepare food items for our customers
- Follow all food health and safety guidelines and requirements
- Package food for delivery as needed
- Maintain food preparation tools, including cleaning and disinfecting instruments and equipment before and after use
- Maintain the cleanliness of all surfaces involved in the food handling process, such as counters, ovens, freezers, and microwaves
- Clean up any spills and leaks that may occur
- Follow procedure to prevent food spoilage and waste
- Prepare food rotation labels and use them to ensure optimal use of our key ingredients
Food Handler Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED
- Food handler’s license
- Previous experience with handling food is preferred
- Knowledge of the latest food health and safety guidelines
- Ability to work well in a team
- Ability to maintain a high standard of quality in an unsupervised setting
- Strong communication skills
Food Handler Job Description FAQ:
What tasks does a food handler do?
The specific tasks that a food handler does will vary based on the scope of their position. If working in a restaurant, the employee will be primarily tasked with helping the restaurant prepare its food for the public. This can involve handling deliveries, managing inventory, and doing prep work to assist the restaurant’s chefs.
What should I include in my food handler help wanted ads?
For the best results, you should follow the layout that we’ve used here. That means starting with an engaging opening that describes the position generally. Then, move into two separate lists that cover the responsibilities and requirements of your food handler position, respectively. Use as much detail as possible. Doing so will make it clear to potential candidates what you are looking for in your ideal employee.
Can I use your food handler job description template as a starting point?
Absolutely! Feel free to use what we’ve written here as inspiration for your own help wanted ad. However, you will want to make sure that you customize your job description to match the specific position that you need to be filled. What we’ve written here may or may not accurately capture the responsibilities and requirements associated with your food handler position. Make changes to these as needed to ensure that the people who view your job description know exactly what you’re looking for. This can make the screening and interviewing processes much easier for you.