Bar Manager Job Description
Bar managers responsible for handling daily administrative tasks, overseeing staff, interacting with patrons and much more. A bar manager’s role is to create an environment that is welcoming and enjoyable for guests.
Bar Manager Job Description Template:
Bar managers are an integral part of the success of a bar or pub and responsible for ensuring the smooth execution of daily operations. The ideal candidate for a bar manager position would be someone who is committed to the mission of the establishment, who has a clear vision of how to foster growth within the company, has a dynamic, hands-on personality to work with, hire, train, and supervise staff.
Additionally, being detail oriented is needed for someone in this position as they will be charged with tracking and maintaining inventory, planning events, ensuring operating licenses remain current, and following industry guidelines and safety protocols.
Lastly, a successful candidate must be able to identify ways to sustainably grow the client base of the organization, increase profits and maintain a loyal customer base by providing all clients with an exceptional experience, food, and drinks.
Bar Manager Responsibilities Include:
- Managing and overseeing administrative aspects of day to day operations. These aspects include but are not limited to maintaining current liquor licenses, identifying and contacting potential suppliers, and negotiating contracts, tracking and maintaining inventory, managing budgets, and identifying and setting benchmark goals for the business
- Recruiting, hiring, training, supervising staff
- Overseeing scheduling of staff to ensure that the establishment runs smoothly during peak hours
- Ensuring that industry-specific quality and safety guidelines are followed by all staff
- Maintaining up to date licenses per current legislation
- Ability to work in a diverse environment with both staff and clients
- Identifying, planning, and executing promotional events
- Ability to communicate calmly and effectively to diffuse tense interactions that might occur to maintain a safe and fun atmosphere for both guests and staff
Bar Manager Job Requirements:
- High School Diploma
- Restaurant experience or managerial experience is preferred
- An in-depth understanding of management and accounting practices and experience utilizing them in the workplace
- Strong problem-solving and customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal and intrapersonal skills
- Ability to communicate calmly and effectively to successfully defuse tense situationsAvailability to work as needed on weekends, nights, and holidays.
- Ability to make decisions in a fast-paced, stressful environment
- Must have the physical ability to stand for long periods of time and to carry heavy items
Bar Manager FAQ:
What does a bar manager do?
The responsibilities of a bar manager can differ between businesses; therefore, it is necessary to identify what your business expects from a bar manager by highlighting your specific needs in your job description.
Generally speaking, a bar manager's role is to oversee daily operations within the bar or pub, manage staff, and ensure that the establishment's day-to-day operations run smoothly. This could include administrative tasks, ensuring provisions are available and much more.
Can I customize your bar manager position description?
Yes! But keep in mind that no two roles are absolutely alike. It is recommended that you edit our job description sample to best fit the current needs of your organization.
What information should I include when I advertise a bar manager job?
It is best practice to include specific duties in your job listing. Additionally, identify the kind of candidate that you are looking for, as this will go far in helping your bar hire a candidate that meets expectations.