Grill Cook Job Description
Grill cooks are professional cooks who work in restaurants. They are different from other types of chefs and line cooks in that most of their work is done on the kitchen’s grill. The types of restaurants they work in can vary significantly, from a fast-food restaurant to a high end restaurant that specializes in grilled food.
To be successful, grill cooks need to have expert-level grill cooking abilities. They also need to be comfortable working in a fast-paced setting. Employees in this role typically report directly to the kitchen’s head cook or shift supervisor.
Grill Cook Job Description Template
Our restaurant is searching for a skilled grill cook to join its staff. As our grill cook, your tasks will be related primarily to cooking food on our kitchen’s grill. This will include braising and grilling meat, vegetables, and other types of food as needed. To be successful in this role, you will need to be capable of working in a team and have exceptional grilling abilities.
We also ask our grill cooks to assist the kitchen staff with the ingredient preparation process. This can involve slicing, cutting, and tenderizing meat, vegetables, and other ingredients. You will also be asked to inform waitstaff when orders are ready and assist us in maintaining our inventory.
Grill Cook Responsibilities:
- Braise and grill meat and vegetables with a high degree of skill
- Assist in maintaining inventory by tracking, labeling, and replacing key ingredients
- Prepare meat and vegetables by slicing, cutting, shredding, and tenderizing them as needed
- Communicate with the head chef and wait staff to ensure the timely delivery of all meals
- Follow all relevant food health and safety guidelines
- Maintain a workstation that is both clean and sanitary
- Communicate with the restaurant manager about any kitchen supplies and upgrades that are needed
Grill Cook Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED
- Previous restaurant experience, preferably as a cook
- Positive attitude and ability to thrive in a fast-paced kitchen
- Strong communication skills
- Availability to work evening and weekend shifts
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
- Knowledge of and willingness to embrace important food health and safety guidelines
- Willingness to continue learning and improving your craft
Grill Cook FAQ
What tasks does a grill cook do?
As you might imagine, the main things that a grill cook does revolve around operating a kitchen’s grill. They’re most commonly asked to grill and braise vegetables and meat but can also include preparing other foods.
Beyond that, a grill cook will also be asked to do their part to ensure that the kitchen operates as smoothly as possible. This often involves doing food preparation and inventory work. A grill cook will also be asked to communicate with the head chef, other cooks, and the restaurant’s wait staff as they work.
Can I use your grill cook job description template?
You can use our template when drafting your help wanted ads. However, be sure to take what we’ve written here and adjust it as needed. Customize your job description to make it stand out from the other options that your applicants are considering.
What should I include in my grill cook help wanted ads?
For the best results, we recommend simply following the template that we’ve laid out above. Begin with an engaging overview of the job in paragraph form. Then, move into discussing the requirements and responsibilities of the position in bullet points, replicating the ones you see above if applicable.