of all meat, fish, fowl, and other food items prepared in the kitchen.
Examples of Duties:
45 · Prepares all foods in accordance to standard recipes and as specified by the guest. Oversees food preparation and kitchen staff to ensure quality production. Visually inspects, selects, and uses only food items of the highest quality in the preparation of all menu items.
15 · Checks and controls the proper storage of product and portion control, e.g., especially high cost meat and fish items.
20 · Keeps all refrigeration, storage, and working areas clean, working condition to comply with health department regulations.
5 · Ensures all equipment in working areas is clean and in proper working condition.
5 · Prepares requisitions for supplies and food item for production in work station. Processes other necessary paperwork accurately and in a timely manner. Reads and employs math skills to appropriately prepare items according to recipes. Requires stamina for standing and strength for lifting and moving products.
Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established by LASR from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Employees with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules, weekends, holidays, and overtime to reflect the business needs of LASR. Employees may also be required to attend group and/or department meetings in addition to the work shift as necessary.
Upon employment, all employees are required to fully comply with LASR rules and regulations for the safe and efficient operation of LASR facilities. Employees who violate rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up tp and including termination of employment.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the hotel.
· Performs general cleaning tasks using standard cleaning product as assigned by your supervisor to adhere to health standards.
· Keeps floors dry and clean to avoid slip/fall accidents.
· Performs other duties as requested, such as, cross-training, moving supplies and equipment, cleaning up spills, etc.
· Reports suspicious persons activities to a supervisor immediately.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skill, and Ability
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities. And be able to explain and demonstrate the he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
· Good working knowledge of accepted standards of sanitation.
· Knowledge of operating all kitchen equipment, i.e., stoves, ovens, broilers, slicers, steamers, kettles, etc.
· Basic mathematical skills necessary to understand recipes, measurements, requisition amounts and portions sizes.
· Ability to read, write, and understand English language in order to complete requisitions, read recipes, and communicate with other employees.
· Sufficient manual dexterity of hand in order to use all kitchen equipment, i.e., knives, spoons, spatulas, tongs, slicers, etc.
· Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry, or otherwise, move or push goods on a hand cart/truck weighing a maximum of 150 pounds.
· Ability to stand and work continuously in confined spaces.
· Ability to perform duties within extreme temperature ranges.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school or any other combination of education, training, or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. High school diploma preferred. Culinary or Apprenticeship program preferred.
Cooking experience required. Supervisory experience preferred.
Licenses or Certificates:
Ability to obtain any government required license or certificate. Example: Health Card Permit; TABC Certification permit required in the state where employed.
All employees must maintain a neat, clean, and well groomed appearance (specific standards available).
Desired Personality Traits: A passion for food, attention to detail, ability to work under stress, ability to work well with others, to work as part of a team.
Always come to work with a clean uniform.
Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the standard of Lake Austin Spa Resort.
Ensure food is received and stored correctly.
Organize the work in the kitchen so that everything works like a “well-oiled machinery.
Communicate with kitchen staff needs for functions, special guests, diets, allergies and amenities.
Be aware of what is happening in the Front-of-the-house (unexpected rush of people, event time changing) and communicate it to Kitchen staff.
Maintain order and discipline in the kitchen during working hours
Work with Executive Chef and Sous Chef to come up with diversified evening specials in accordance with Lake Austin Spa Resort vision of conscientious cuisine.
Assist Executive Chef and Sous Chef during different events ( banquets, privates dinners)
Prepare your station for your shift.
Good time management.
Maintain the highest level of food quality.
Follow proper plate presentation.
Substitute or assist cooks during emergencies or rush periods
Maintain a clean and safe kitchen.
Follow all health and safety regulations.
Follow all resort regulations.
Control and limit waste.
Communicate problems and ideas to management.
Maintain all kitchen equipment and utensils and signal any malfunction before it affect the staff or the clients.
Keep kitchen area clean and organized.
Follow proper rotation procedures.
Ensure that kitchen music is at an appropriate volume.
Attend all scheduled kitchen meeting and offers suggestions for improvements.
Be available to help in other departments if needed.
Follow the recipes to meet the resort’s standards.
Be a team player—support and assist your fellow team members whenever possible.
Closes the kitchen following side work list for kitchen stations and ensure that all kitchen staff is respecting closing duties
• Attention to detail – it is essential that the plates are perfect when they leave the kitchen and the lead line cook must check his/her work as well as the work done by the other line cooks.
A critic eye will instantly see possible issues and will fix them along the way.
• Initiative – cooking for others is an art in which one must always innovate. A person with initiative and passion for this domain will certainly have a smoother path towards success.
• Flexibility – working in a kitchen along with a group of people may lead to unexpected situations. The lead line cook must be flexible and adapt easy to the new working conditions, so that the results are always the best.
• Good stress tolerance – when cooking for others, the responsibility is huge and so is the level of stress. A good lead line cook has a great stress tolerance and transforms negative emotions into edible works of art.
• Leadership – a lead line cook is a good leader, who works along the team for the perfect plates. He/she imposes respect through attitude and through the good choices made along the way.
• Works perfect in team – working in a kitchen requires good team spirit, as in most cases a well-organized team has much better results than the same number of individuals working on their own.
• Time management – the lead line cook must estimate the necessary time needed for each dish, as well as the time spent by each line cooks when preparing different meals. They need to perfectly organize the kitchen so that every minute is used wisely. Delays or wasted time affects the kitchen’s performances
• Good communication abilities – the lead line cook is in constant communication with the Executive chef, Sous Chef and Restaurant Manager as well as with the kitchen staff, ingredient providers, technical staff which maintains the cooking machineries in order and even with the clients. Therefore, he/she must know how to adjust their discourse in accordance with the targeted audience.
• Active listening and learning – understanding what people say, asking questions for an insight into the problem and gathering information for a solution are essential when coordinating a team, whether it is in the kitchen or outside it.
• Teaching abilities – the lead line cook must train the new line cooks, new dishwashers or temp dishwasher, therefore you need a teaching strategy which conveys the information clearly and in an accessible manner