Food Preparation Worker Job Description Template
In a restaurant, a food preparation worker is an employee whose job it is to prepare foods for the chef to cook. This can involve a wide variety of tasks, including: cutting, slicing, trimming, and chopping various foods. Employees in this role may also be tasked with helping the restaurant manage its inventory. This can involve rotating foods to ensure freshness, handling deliveries, and creating labels for foods.
Food preparation workers also work in hotels, cafeterias, grocery stores, schools, and hospitals. Regardless of whether they work, a food preparation employee’s main job is to perform the tasks that his or her cooks, chefs, or food service managers have assigned them.
Food Preparation Worker Job Description
Our restaurant is looking for a skilled food preparation worker to join the team. This position will involve working under the direction of our senior kitchen staff. Your job will be to give them the prep support they need to better serve our customers. This will include weighing and mixing ingredients, trimming and cutting meats and vegetables, and performing related tasks. You will also be responsible for helping us ensure that our ingredients are stored properly and are always fresh.
To be successful in this role, you will need to have a strong understanding of the best practices in food health and safety as well as the ability to follow those guidelines without supervision. You should also be able to work quickly without sacrificing quality and in stressful situations while maintaining an upbeat attitude.
Food Preparation Worker Responsibilities:
- Work effectively within the kitchen team and support leaders with food preparation work
- Prepare workstations with ingredients and equipment
- Assist in keeping the kitchen environment as sanitary as possible
- Follow recipes to prepare ingredients
- Perform basic cooking tasks such as steaming vegetables
- Ensure that all prepared ingredients are sealed and labeled properly
- Manage food levels and restock items as necessary
- Assist with removing trash, keeping cutlery clean, and other tasks that help the kitchen operate more efficiently
Food Preparation Worker Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED
- Two or more years of experience in the restaurant industry preferred
- Ability to use knives safely
- Ability to perform routine cooking tasks
- Thorough understanding of the best practices for food health and safety
- Team player who can adjust to changing circumstances
- Available to work shifts during the night, early morning, and on weekends
- Excellent communication skills and an upbeat attitude
Food Preparation Worker FAQ:
What tasks does a food preparation worker do?
Food preparation workers are an essential part of any kitchen staff. They assist chefs by preparing the ingredients that they need to cook. This can involve performing simple cooking tasks like chopping, peeling, and more.
Additionally, food prep workers are often asked to assist with inventory and food freshness by restocking ingredients as needed and creating labels for them. Employees may also be asked to perform additional tasks based on the needs of kitchen leaders.
Can I use your food preparation worker job description template?
You can use our template as a starting point but should customize your description to highlight the unique aspects of your food preparation worker position. Doing so will help you attract candidates who are an ideal match for your restaurant.
What should I include in my food preparation worker help wanted ads?
For the best results, consider using the template that we’ve provided above. Start with a compelling description of the job. Then, move into lists that cover the major responsibilities and requirements. Be as detailed as possible so that your applicants have a clear understanding of what you’re looking for.