Café Manager Job Description
The responsibilities of a café manager include, but are not limited to, working closely in a supervisory role with staff members, overseeing scheduling, monitoring productivity, and providing feedback to ensure that staff are providing the best experience possible to customers. Additionally, a café manager must monitor budgets, including expenses, sales, and profit margins. They also track and maintain inventory to ensure that supplies are available as needed.
A successful café manager will have experience working in various roles within a coffee shop and be available to work flexible shifts including weekends and holidays. The goal of the café manager is to increase the profit margins of their coffee shop and to establish a loyal customer base to make the café a local hotspot for the community.
Café Manager Job Description Template:
Our goal is to hire a manager with extensive experience within the café industry who will be responsible for daily operations of our coffee shop. The café manager's principal responsibilities are to supervise staff, perform maintenance and repairs on equipment, process payments, submit bank deposits, and maintain a clean and presentable environment within the café.
An ideal candidate will have acquired both management and leadership skills and will be able to ensure that all duties within the café are executed with customer service in mind.
Café Manager Responsibilities Include:
- Recruit, hire, train, and supervise café staff
- Oversee scheduling of staff members and be able to quickly find replacements in the event of a staff member being sick or absent
- Monitor budgets to ensure that the café remains profitable. Actively find ways to lower operational costs while expanding the cafés customer base
- Monitor and maintain inventory
- Work closely with customers to answer questions and listen to complaints regarding food quality and customer service before working to resolve those complaints promptly
- Listen to customer preferences and make suggestions for menu items
Café Manager Job Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED with special consideration given to those with additional education. A degree in Business Administration or Business Management is preferred.
- Experience working in the food or hospitality industry. Managerial experience preferred
- Must have a food handler’s license and be aware of regulations concerning food health and safety
- Proven management skills with exemplary organizational, time management, communication, and customer service skills
Café Manager FAQ:
What does a café manager do?
A café manager oversees all aspects of a café's operations. This includes: selling food and drinks, hiring and scheduling staff, menu planning, and maintaining inventory. Additionally, the manager will coordinate with vendors, monitor budgets, and work to improve profit margins.
Café managers might work in a variety of coffee shops; from national chains to privately owned businesses, from small towns to university campuses, hospitals, and much more. Given the nature of this role, it is not uncommon for managers to work long hours – often more than 40 hours a week and be available on nights, weekends, and holidays.
Can I customize your café manager position description?
Yes! Please edit this job description to meet the needs of your specific coffee shop or company.
What information should I include when I advertise a café manager job?
While crafting your café manager job description, be sure to customize it to meet the specific needs of your company. Be sure to highlight the specific job responsibilities that you would like a café manager to complete and identify what specific qualities you would like for a café manager to have to best fit your company’s culture.