Commis Chef Job Description Template
Commis chefs are often chefs in training, working alongside the chef de partie and assisting in basic needs of the kitchen. Preparing ingredients, keeping inventory, taking charge in organizing and keeping a clean workspace, and properly presenting food items are all part of the commis chef’s responsibilities.
Commis chefs may rotate to different workstations throughout the kitchen, and partake in multiple tasks. Depending on the specialty, commis chefs are able to learn while multitasking and working alongside professionals.
Commis Chef Job Description
We are seeking a hard-working, efficient, and skilled commis chef to prepare the meal ingredients needed while working alongside the chef de partie and in various kitchen responsibilities.
Responsibilities of the commis chef include: preparing ingredients, seasoning meats, taking inventory, overseeing deliveries, and organizing and basic cleaning in the kitchen, communicating with the chef and supervisor, and ensuring proper presentation of food as directed by the chef de partie.
Successful commis chefs demonstrate excellent organizational skills and are attentive to the kitchen’s needs. Working alongside the chef de partie gives the commis chef an opportunity to learn and grow as a chef.
Commis Chef Responsibilities:
- Measuring meal ingredients accurately for the chef de partie
- Preparing meals by washing, peeling, and chopping fruits and vegetables and seasoning different kinds of meat
- Preparing basic salads and sauces for meals, as directed by the chef de partie
- Receiving deliveries and verifying that all ordered items are received and are good quality
- Taking inventory of restaurant supplies and notifying the supervisor when stock is low
- Disposing of the expired and spoiled food items stored in stock rooms, refrigerators, and freezers
- Cleaning and ensuring that all the work stations are organized and properly sanitized
- Preparing all the meal items to be presentable as instructed by the chef de partie
Commis Chef Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED
- Associate’s degree, diploma or certification in culinary arts is preferred
- Food handler’s license
- Relevant prior work history and experience in a commercial kitchen
- Knowledge of current food health and safety regulations
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
- Must be able to work under pressure
- Must have excellent organizational skills
- Ability to communicate effectively
Commis Chef FAQ:
What is a commis chef position?
The commis chef prepares food items and assists the chef de partie in preparing and cooking meals. The commis chef partakes in washing, peeling, and cutting the fruits and vegetables needed for meals. Seasoning, and preparing ingredients is also required.
Commis chefs are in training, working alongside the chef de partie. The responsibilities will vary depending on the specialty of the food or service. Commis chefs may move and work at different workstations to assist multiple chefs in the kitchen.
Is this commis chef description customizable?
Yes! When posting a description for the commis chef position, you should include important information about your company, the work required, and a description of your ideal candidate. You can use our template and customize it to fit your needs.
What should I include in my commis chef position description?
The commis chef position description should always reflect what the commis chef will be expected to perform when working with your company. You can use our template of job descriptions, duties, and responsibilities to create a description that best fits the needs of your company.