Food Server Job Description Template
A food server is the chief point of contact between a restaurant and their customers. Food servers start by greeting a table of customers and then taking their drink orders. They return with the drinks, take the table’s food orders, and deliver their food. This position also requires explaining dishes to customers, taking feedback, and responding to complaints in a professional manner.
In order to be successful in this role, restaurant employees need to have strong attention to detail. They must also have the multitasking skills needed to manage multiple tables of customers at the same time. Of course, food servers also need to have superior customer service skills to ensure that their tables leave the restaurant happy.
Food Server Job Description
Our restaurant is looking for a skilled food server to join our team. As one of our food servers, you will be responsible for ensuring that all customers seated at your tables have an excellent dining experience with us. That will require providing exceptional customer service along with an upbeat, professional attitude. You will also need to deal with customer complaints in a timely, professional manner.
Food servers may also be asked to assist with other tasks around the restaurant as needed. For example, you may be asked to perform opening duties or closing duties based on the timing of your shift. In order to succeed in this position, you will need to be capable of maintaining a high standard of customer service in a fast-paced setting.
Food Server Responsibilities:
- Greet guests as they sit down, take their drink and food orders, and deliver those orders in the manner requested by the customer
- Assist the general restaurant staff by performing opening and closing duties as dictated by the timing of your shift
- Remain knowledgeable of the restaurant’s dishes and specials so that you can explain them effectively to customers
- Communicate with our kitchen staff to ensure that orders are being sent out as requested
- Ensure that all orders are input into our point of sale (POS) system accurately
- Manage multiple tables at once during busier hours of operation
Food Server Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED
- 1+ years of experience in a similar role is preferred
- Professional demeanor and appearance
- An upbeat attitude and the ability to make guests feel welcome in our restaurant
- Physically fit enough to remain standing for the bulk of your 8-hour shift
- Available to work weekends, nights, and other busy hours
- Strong people skills and the ability to communicate well with our kitchen staff
Food Server Job Description FAQ:
What tasks does a food server do?
A food server’s main job is to take customers’ orders and deliver their beverages and food as requested. As part of this, a food server will be asked to provide recommendations and handle customer feedback and complaints.
Food servers also need to be personable enough to provide customers with exceptional dining experiences. As the main point of contact between customers and the restaurant, it’s the food server’s responsibility to ensure that customers want to come back to the restaurant again.
Can I use your food server job description template?
Yes, you can use our template as a starting point for your food server position. However, make sure that you also add the details of your food server position that differ from what’s listed here. This will ensure that applicants know exactly what you’re looking for.
What should I include in my food server help wanted ads?
We recommend following the guideline that we’ve shown above. You should start with an engaging general description of the position before moving into detailed lists of the role’s responsibilities and requirements.