Restaurant Supervisor Job Description
A restaurant supervisor is tasked with ensuring that a restaurant runs smoothly. This can involve many different tasks, including hiring and training staff, managing schedules, and ensuring compliance with all food health and safety requirements.
The role of the restaurant supervisor can also be a customer-facing one. Supervisors may need to support the broader restaurant staff by waiting tables or seating customers. They will also be in charge of both responding to customer complaints and resolving them.
Restaurant Supervisor Job Description Template
We are seeking an experienced restaurant supervisor to join our team. In this role, you will be asked to perform a variety of managerial functions. This starts with providing our guests with a consistently high-quality dining experience. To do this, you will need to motivate our staff and demonstrate superior customer service skills.
As a supervisor, you will also help our team meet its standards for quality and profitability. This will involve ensuring that all food health and safety requirements are met. Your job may also require you to hire new staff, train them, and create schedules that reflect the dynamic needs of the restaurant.
Restaurant Supervisor Responsibilities:
- Assist in the hiring and training of new employees as well as the continuous training of existing staff
- Oversee both front and back of house operations, including wait staff, kitchen crew, and bussing staff
- Maintain high-quality food standards
- Oversee our kitchen staff’s compliance with all health code and sanitation requirements
- Provide exceptional customer service and lead staff to do the same
- Respond to customer complaints quickly and resolve them effectively
- Develop strategies for improving our customers’ dining experience
- Work with staff to project future needs for kitchen supplies, goods, and cleaning products.
- Maintain inventory of all needed supplies
- Identify methods our restaurant can use to cut waste, decrease costs, and improve profits
- Manage the work schedules of our restaurant’s staff
Restaurant Supervisor Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED
- Previous supervisory experience in the hospitality industry preferred
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced setting
- Strong multi-tasking skills
- The physical ability to remain standing for long periods of time
- Exceptional organizational, communication, and customer service skills
- Strong managerial skills
Restaurant Supervisor FAQ:
What does a restaurant supervisor do?
The primary purpose of a restaurant supervisor is to ensure the smooth functioning of a restaurant. This requires those who are hired for the position to complete a number of different tasks.
Restaurant supervisors will need to manage staff schedules as well as the daily operations of the restaurant. They will be asked to resolve customer complaints professionally and ensure all food health and safety requirements are met. The supervisor will also help the restaurant improve profits by designing and implementing strategies for waste reduction.
What should my restaurant include in its help-wanted ads?
When creating a help-wanted ad, your restaurant should always start with a short description of the role. This should detail what the role entails and should make the specific characteristics that you’re looking for clear to applicants.
Next, your help-wanted ads should also include sections on the responsibilities of its position and the requirements it’s asking all candidates to possess. You can take inspiration from the examples of this shown above.
Can I use your restaurant supervisor job description template?
Feel free to use our job description template as a starting point for your own. However, it’s important to customize what we’ve written to meet the unique needs of your restaurant. You may have different expectations or requirements than what’s written here.
By listing the aspects of the position that are unique to your restaurant, you will find it easier to attract the right candidates. This can make the entire hiring process easier for your company.