Automotive Technician Job Description
An automotive technician is a service worker that repairs and maintains vehicles. They perform diagnostic tests on electrical and mechanical systems to determine the source of problems. Then, they order and install replacement parts to fix the problem. An automotive technician will also spend some of their time on the upkeep of their workplace, including taking steps to ensure a safe working environment.
To qualify for an automotive technician position, a candidate typically needs to have some training, but not an advanced degree. If an auto shop serves vehicles of a particular make, then they’ll likely want to hire someone who has been trained to service those types of vehicles. Excellent mechanical skills and strong attention to detail are two of the most important traits for employees in this role.
Automotive Technician Job Description Template
We are searching for a skilled automotive technician to join our growing staff. In this role, you will help us resolve our clients’ car issues. You will diagnose the issues through mechanical and electrical tests, then use that information to make repairs to a client’s car. When you’ve finished working on the vehicle, it should be returned to optimal functionality.
To do well in this position, you will need to have excellent technical skills and familiarity with the repair and maintenance of automobiles. You should also have solid interpersonal and customer service skills, as you will interact directly with clients often.
Another important component of this job is helping us to maintain a safe and clean workplace. If you believe that you have the skills and qualifications needed to excel in this role, we’d love to see your resume.
Automotive Technician Responsibilities:
- Use diagnostic tests to identify the problems with a client’s car
- Order the parts necessary to resolve an automotive problem
- Remove the old parts and install the new ones to fix the issue
- Assist our clients with routine auto maintenance tasks such as oil changes, fluid level checks, and tire rotations.
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor
- Help us to keep our work environment safe, clean, and organized
Automotive Technician Requirements:
- Previous experience in a similar role
- Ability to perform a wide variety of auto repair and maintenance tasks
- Ability to work well in a team-based setting
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Physical ability to lift as much as 50lbs and to remain standing for most of the day
- Ability to use the most common automobile repair tools and diagnostic tests
Automotive Technician FAQ
What tasks does an automotive technician complete?
An automotive technician helps people with their car problems. It’s their job to diagnose the issue, order the necessary parts, and repair it. This involves using a wide variety of tools and testing equipment. Automotive technicians also spend some time keeping their workplace safe and clean.
What should I include in my automotive technician help-wanted ads?
We suggest that you follow the same outline that we’ve used above. You should begin with paragraphs that talk about the job in general terms. Then you can get more specific with bulleted lists that highlight its detailed responsibilities and requirements.
Can I use your automotive technician job description template?
Feel free to use our automotive technician job description template however you’d like. But don’t make the mistake of copying everything that we’ve written here word-for-word. It’s better for you to add specifics to what we’ve shown. Doing so will help you differentiate your job from the others that your candidates may also be considering.