Barber Job Description
A barber helps the clients that they see take care of their hair and facial hair. They typically work primarily with male clients, but may also work with women in some shops. When a barber meets with a client, they’ll start by helping them to decide on what they’d like to do with their hair. They may recommend specific haircuts or styles that they imagine will suit the client well. Once a decision has been made, the barber uses scissors or clippers to cut, shave, and shape that person’s hair. When that’s done, the barber will style the hair and blow-dry it before finishing.
Barbers are also responsible for maintaining the cleanliness and inventory of their shops. They need to have excellent interpersonal skills as well since the job is one that involves constant interaction with others.
Barber Job Description Template
We are searching for a skilled barber to join our team. In this role, it will be your job to consult with our clients and to help them select the right hairstyle for their style goals. Once you’ve done that, you will cut and style their hair so that it matches the description that they’ve provided you as closely as possible.
Some of your other responsibilities may include: coloring a client’s hair, fitting and grooming hairpieces, and billing clients when their haircut is complete. You will also help us with maintaining the cleanliness and inventory of our shop. To do well in this role, you will need to have excellent people skills and the ability to accurately capture the style that our clients hope to achieve with their haircut. You should also keep yourself aware of new styles and emerging trends in hairstyle.
If you believe that you have the qualifications that are needed to excel in this position, then we’d love to hear from you. Send us your resume to get started.
- Welcome clients as they come through the shop’s doors
- Consult with them to help them find the right hairstyle for their goals
- Wash clients’ hair before cutting it
- Use scissors and trimmers to shape clients’ beards and mustaches
- Style clients’ hair with a variety of products and tools
- Assist us with inventory maintenance by ordering new products as needed
- Ensure that the workplace and your hair-cutting tools remain clean and sanitary
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous barbershop experience is strongly preferred
- Ability to successfully recreate the wide variety of hairstyles that our clients are looking for
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Physical ability to stand for long periods of time
- All state and federal-mandated barber licenses
What tasks does a barber complete?
A barber cuts and styles their clients’ hair. They suggest hairstyles, wash their clients’ hair, and groom it after the cutting is complete. Most barbers also perform shop maintenance tasks like cleaning the instruments that they use and re-ordering supplies that have been depleted.
What should I include in my barber help-wanted ads?
The best strategy is to mirror the same format that we’ve used above. It’s a good idea to begin your help-wanted ads with a few paragraphs that talk about the job in general terms. You can get more specific after that by creating bulleted lists that show the position’s responsibilities and requirements.
Can I use your barber job description template when creating my ads?
Absolutely! You should feel free to use all of our job description templates however you see fit. Just keep in mind that you’ll get the best results if you add to what we’ve written with some of the aspects that make your job unique.