Clinic Assistant Job Description
Clinic assistants are medical professionals who support physicians, nurses, and other medical staff in clinical settings. Clinic assistants are distinguishable from other types of medical staff through the complexity of the tasks they complete. They generally only perform basic diagnostic tests, patient management, and recordkeeping. That means a clinic assistant doesn’t need to have a bachelor’s degree in a medical field to be effective in their role.
Clinic assistants can work at clinics, outpatient programs, and several other types of medical facilities. Ultimately, employees in this role are responsible for raising the level of care that the medical center provides to its patients.
Clinic Assistant Job Description Template
Our clinic is looking for a skilled clinic assistant to join our team. In this role, you will be responsible for helping us improve the quality of care that we provide to every patient. Much of your time will be spent working directly with patients. You will obtain their information, educate them on clinical procedures, and perform basic diagnostic tests. You may also be asked to sterilize equipment and perform recordkeeping tasks periodically.
To be successful, clinic assistants need to be proactive about providing patients with high-quality care. They should also be personable and have strong communication skills to ensure that patients have the information that they need while waiting to be seen by our clinic’s physicians and nursing staff. If you believe that you have these qualifications, we’d love to encourage you to apply.
Clinic Assistant Responsibilities:
- Welcome patients to the clinic with a positive attitude
- Prepare patient files for our nurses and physicians
- Obtain patient information
- Perform simple diagnostic tests as instructed by more experienced medical personnel
- Maintain a clean and hygienic work environment to promote patient health
- Prepare examination rooms for patient treatment by sterilizing medical equipment and sanitizing designated areas
Clinic Assistant Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Certification, associate’s degree, or advanced diploma in a medical field is preferred
- Accreditation by the American Association of Medical Assistants
- Strong communication skills
- Basic knowledge of simple diagnostic procedures for common health concerns
- Ability to maintain detailed patient records
- Experience with patient management software like Cliniko and Kareo
- Ability to successfully manage competing priorities in a busy clinical setting
Clinic Assistant FAQ
What tasks does a clinic assistant perform?
Clinic assistants can perform a variety of tasks to support their workplace. They’re often asked to obtain patient information and perform recordkeeping tasks with the information. Clinic assistants may also spend time performing simple diagnostic tests, welcoming patients to the clinic, and preparing them to be seen by nurses and physicians. Additionally, a clinic assistant will also be asked to sanitize treatment rooms to maintain a hygienic workplace.
Can I use your clinic assistant job description template?
We don’t mind if you use our clinic assistant job description template as you prepare your help-wanted ads. However, don’t fall into the trap of simply copying what we’ve written verbatim. Instead, make sure that you supplement what we’ve written with the details that make your available clinic assistant job unique. Doing so is an excellent way to attract candidates who meet the unique needs of your treatment center.
What should I include in my clinic assistant help-wanted ads?
We recommend that you simply follow the format that we’ve laid out above. Begin with an opening paragraph or two that provides a compelling general description of the position. Then, get into the detailed responsibilities and requirements of the job by creating two dedicated bullet-point lists, as we’ve done above. This will ensure that your applicants have all of the information they need to know before applying.