Rehabilitation Counselor Job Description
A rehabilitation counselor is a professional who helps people with physical, mental, developmental, or emotional disabilities live independently. The rehabilitation counselor typically works in a community treatment center, retirement home, or youth guidance organization. To qualify for this job, an individual typically must have a master’s degree in rehabilitation counseling or a related field.
The tasks performed by employees in this role relate to helping individuals with disabilities live more fulfilling lives. They might develop treatment plans for their patients, identify career training plans for them, develop and carry out targeted rehabilitation strategies, and educate family members and caregivers on various disabilities and their effects.
Rehabilitation Counselor Job Description Template
We are looking to add a skilled and compassionate rehabilitation counselor to our team. In this role, it will be your responsibility to help clients with varying disabilities lead more fulfilling lives. You will evaluate their strengths and weaknesses so that you can create a targeted care plan that helps the patient reach their full potential and to feel more satisfaction in their daily life. You will also be collaborating with other care providers and educating patients’ families on their conditions.
To do well in this role, the person that we hire will need to have deep insight into the medical and psychological factors surrounding disability. You should also have previous experience in working directly with patients who are struggling with a disability. If you believe that you possess these qualifications, then we’d love to see your resume.
Rehabilitation Counselor Responsibilities:
- Evaluate each client’s unique strengths, weaknesses, and challenges
- Create targeted rehabilitation plans to help the client live a more satisfying, fulfilling life
- Collaborate with other healthcare providers and caregivers to create a cohesive plan for the patient
- Educate caregivers and family members on the patient’s condition
- Develop relationships in the community to facilitate the integration of the patient into local jobs and organizations
- Monitor the client’s progress and make adjustments as needed
Rehabilitation Counselor Requirements:
- Master’s degree in rehabilitation counseling or a related field
- All state and federal licenses required to practice
- Deep knowledge of disabilities and how they affect the psychological and medical needs of individuals
- Compassionate attitude and excellent interpersonal skills
- Basic technological proficiency
- Ability to coordinate with both community organizations and other medical professionals
Rehabilitation Counselor FAQ
What tasks does a rehabilitation counselor do?
It’s a rehabilitation counselor’s job to help patients who struggle with disabilities to live more fulfilling lives. This involves creating a detailed care plan that is targeted to the patient’s unique needs. The rehabilitation counselor works directly with the patient to integrate them into the local community, prepare them for a job (if possible), and generally help them feel better about daily life.
Can I use your rehabilitation counselor job description template?
Yes, we have no problem with you using our job description templates in your help-wanted ads. That being said, you’ll have the best results if you add to what we’ve written here instead of copying it word-for-word. It’s important that you highlight the aspects of your job that make it unique so that you can attract as many qualified candidates as possible.
What should I include in my rehabilitation counselor help-wanted ads?
We recommend that you follow the formatting that we’ve used above when creating help-wanted ads for rehabilitation counselor positions. This means starting with a general description before getting specific.
Write a couple of paragraphs that highlight the most important aspects of the job. Then, create two bulleted lists that showcase the responsibilities and requirements of the position, such as the ones that we’ve created above. This is a proven formatting method that will help you get the most out of the ads you post.