Mental Health Specialist Job Description
Mental health specialists are healthcare workers who assist in the care of patients with mental health problems. They typically work under the supervision of a licensed mental healthcare professional, such as a psychiatrist, psychologist, or social worker. Mental health specialists perform a variety of tasks to provide the patients they see with the most effective care possible.
For example, an employee in this role may be asked to interview patients to assess their mental health status. They could also be asked to observe these patients and use the information they learn to develop treatment plans for them. Some mental health specialists also provide crisis intervention services. Typically, an individual needs to have a relevant bachelor’s degree to be employed in this role.
Mental Health Specialist Job Description Template
We are looking to add a skilled mental health specialist to our team. In this role, you will be asked to support our psychologists and psychiatrists as they work to provide our patients with the best care for the individual needs. Your tasks will include performing patient interviews and observations. Once you’ve identified the exact nature of a patient’s mental health status, you will also be responsible for helping to develop a treatment plan for them.
To do well in this role, you will need to have a strong background in both human psychology and the types of therapy used to treat various mental health conditions. Additionally, you should have strong interpersonal skills, as part of your job will entail getting patients to open up to you about some of their most intimate thoughts and feelings. The ideal candidate will have previous experience in a role that allowed them to demonstrate the abilities discussed above.
Mental Health Specialist Responsibilities:
- Perform interviews and observations of patients struggling with mental health issues
- Collect data from these sessions that can be used to develop a treatment plan for the patient
- Monitor the patient’s progress under the supervision of our licensed healthcare professionals
- Work with social workers, parole officers, community members, and other invested parties, as required
- Maintain a strong understanding of the best practices for mental health care as they evolve
Mental Health Specialist Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology or a related field
- Previous experience in a similar role is preferred
- Excellent understanding of psychology and modern therapy techniques
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to utilize software such as TherapyNotes, ShareNotes, and others
- Willingness to work weekends and nights as dictated by scheduling needs
Mental Health Specialist FAQ
What tasks does a mental health specialist do?
A mental health specialist provides care to patients who are struggling with mental health issues. This means spending time with the patient through either interviews or observation sessions.
Once problems are identified, the mental health specialist will work with other mental healthcare experts to develop a treatment plan that meets the patient’s unique needs. Other tasks include taking notes, maintaining patient records, and liaising with other individuals who are invested in the patient’s care.
Can I use your mental health specialist job description template?
Yes, we have no problem with you using our templates. However, it isn’t a good idea to copy them word-for-word. A better strategy is to use our templates as a starting point and add the unique details of your position to them. This could help you attract candidates who are a better fit for the position.
What should I include in my mental health specialist help-wanted ads?
The best strategy is the one that we’ve outlined above. It’s a good idea to start general and then get specific. That means writing a few paragraphs that highlight the important aspects of the job before moving into lists that offer more of the details of the position.