Mental Health Counselor Job Description
Mental health counselors are medical professionals who help their patients improve their mental health. A mental health counselor can work with individuals, couples, families, or groups. Each of these roles will require the counselor to take a slightly different approach to ensure their patients get the most out of their time together.
The main role of a mental health counselor is to help the individual patient or group of patients they’re working with to improve their mental health. This means encouraging clients to discuss emotions and experiences as well as helping them set clearly-defined goals for their future. Through this therapeutic process, a mental health counselor can have a large impact on an individual’s happiness and well-being.
Mental Health Counselor Job Description Template
Our office is looking to add a skilled mental health counselor to the team. In this role, you will be tasked with supporting both individual patients and groups of patients as they work towards their mental health goals. This means you will spend time helping your patients explore their problems with more depth. Once these problems have been clearly defined, you will help them brainstorm strategies for overcoming them. As you continue to work with your patients, you will support them as they make gradual progress towards their desired outcomes.
To be successful in this role, you will need to have a strong background in mental health counseling. You will also need to have strong interpersonal skills, as part of your job is to help patients open up about some of their most intimate experiences and feelings. In addition to that, you should also feel comfortable with working in both individual and group settings, as our office will ask you to meet with both types of patients. Reach out to us with your resume if you think that you would be a good fit for this position.
Mental Health Counselor Responsibilities:
- Provide mental health services to individuals and groups of patients
- Work with patients to identify their problems and create strategies for overcoming them
- Support your patients as they continue working towards their goals
- Maintain records for all of the patients that you see
- Write reports to schools, courts, and other agencies as needed
- Make recommendations to other mental health professionals as needed
Mental Health Counselor Requirements:
- Master’s degree in mental health counseling or a related field
- 3+ years of experience in either counseling or mental health services
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to customize treatment plans based on the unique needs of every patient
- Comfortable treating a wide variety of mental health conditions, from mild to severe
- Knowledge of and willingness to follow the legal guidelines surrounding mental health care
Mental Health Counselor FAQ
What tasks does a mental health counselor do?
A mental health counselor helps patients improve their mental health. This means helping individuals open up about their feelings and experiences and then using that as a launching point for care. The mental health counselor needs to devise personalized treatment plans for patients struggling with a variety of mental health issues. They also need to maintain patient records and make referrals as needed.
Can I use your mental health counselor job description template?
Yes, we have no problem with you using our job description templates. However, you’ll get better results if you update what we’ve written to include more details of your position. You may be able to attract more qualified applicants by highlighting the components of your job that make it unique.
What should I include in my mental health counselor help-wanted ads?
The best strategy is to follow the guideline that we’ve shown above. Begin with a general description of the mental health counselor description. Then, create two lists that talk about the responsibilities and requirements of the job in more detail.