Radiation Therapist Job Description
A radiation therapist is a healthcare professional who helps to prepare and administer radiation treatments to patients with cancer and other conditions. It’s the radiation therapist’s job to ensure the accuracy of the radiation treatment provided. This means making precise measurements, monitoring the patient’s response to the treatment, and following up with them for additional treatment as necessary.
Employees in this role also spend time working directly with patients, so having strong interpersonal skills is important. To qualify for this job, a person usually needs to hold a license in the state they wish to practice as well as either an associate’s or bachelor’s degree.
Radiation Therapist Job Description Template
Our office is looking to add a skilled radiation therapist to its team. In this role, you will be tasked with providing radiation treatment to our patients who need it. More specifically, you will need to work under the direction of the oncologist to perform measurements, upkeep machinery, and verify that every patient is receiving the correct dosage of radiation.
You will also spend some of your time working directly with patients and their families. For example, you may need to explain the treatment that you’re providing to a patient’s family members. It’s also important that you support our patients while they receive this treatment, as it can be challenging.
If you believe that you would be a good fit for this position, then we’d love to see your resume.
Radiation Therapist Responsibilities:
- Provide personalized radiation treatment to our patients who need it
- Console and support patients while they receive treatment
- Explain the radiation treatments that you’re providing to patients and their families
- Utilize medical imaging equipment to verify the accuracy of each treatment
- Monitor patients during and after treatment to ensure no adverse side effects are encountered
- Monitor the long-term progress of patients and suggest changes in care if needed
Radiation Therapist Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in radiation therapy or a related field
- Experience using the medical equipment necessary to perform radiation therapy
- Previous experience working directly with patients is strongly preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to explain the complexities of radiation therapy to patients and family members with no medical background
Radiation Therapist FAQ
What tasks does a radiation therapist complete?
The main job of a radiation therapist is to provide radiation treatment to patients who need it. They do this by operating the medical equipment that carries out this function. A radiation therapist will also need to verify that the treatment that they’re providing is correct by performing precise measurements and monitoring the patient’s response to it. Additionally, employees in this role may need to explain this treatment to patients and their family members.
Can I use your radiation therapist job description template?
Yes, we have no problem with you using our job description template in your radiation therapist help-wanted ads. Just make sure that you’re highlighting the parts of your job that make it unique. Doing so is the only way to differentiate your position from the others that your candidates are also considering.
What should I include in my radiation therapist help-wanted ads?
When creating your help-wanted ads, we recommend that you follow the same strategy that we’ve used here. That means starting with a paragraph or two to talk about the job in a general way. Then, get more specific by creating two bulleted lists to highlight the exact responsibilities and requirements of the job. This strategy is one of the most commonly used because it works well.